You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-25 12:57:18

punkrockguy318
Website

translucency

I see a lot of screenshots with translucent windows.  How can I make a window translucent?  I'm using XFCE4.  Can I do it with any WM?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-03-25 13:21:44

robot5x

Re: translucency

Many different terms do different fancy things...eterm, aterm supports fast transparency and apparently is much easier on cpu.
Man aterm tells you how to do this...basically you need to ~/.Xdefaults to something like this:

aterm*scrollTtyOutput: false 
aterm*backspacekey: 10 
aterm*deletekey: 177 
aterm*foreground: white 
aterm*background: black 
aterm*transparent: true 
aterm*shading: 30 
aterm*saveLines: 1000 
aterm*tintingType: true 
aterm*tinting: #c0c0c0 
aterm*fading: 50 
aterm*transpscrollbar: true 
aterm*troughColor: red 
aterm*pointerColor: green 
aterm*pointerColorBackground: black 
aterm*loginShell: true 
aterm*colorBD: yellow 
aterm*colorUL: magenta 
aterm*cursorColor: red3 
aterm*cursorColor2: yellow 
aterm*scrollBar: off

Of course, any of these variables can be changed to whatever you want. It's just an example. Hope that answers what you're looking for.

#3 2004-03-25 20:11:13

punkrockguy318
Website

Thanks a lot!  That worked great!  But also:  How can I hide WM decorations (via .Xdefaults or via command line?)

ps:  Is there a GTK theme that is translucent?  That would be really cool!

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#4 2004-10-04 19:34:30

punkrockguy318
Website

bump... this is a useful post that I often refur to and I hate searching through 6 pages of stuff....

#5 2004-10-04 19:50:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

two things: aterm is has translucency, as does fluxbox and some other WMs - gtk themes would not handle translucency, it would be the individual program if that can even be done (who knows)...

in addition, the new translucency screenschots are done with the xorg COMPOSITE extension... it's not 100% stable, but it works fine for me.... the same extension which enables drop shadows....

as far as the aterm setup for xdefaults, when I need to refer to that, I go to www.fluxbox.org, head to the downloads section and go to "dotFiles" at the bottom - it has all the developers config files... 8)

#6 2004-10-04 21:41:12

sykotik

I think you mean Transparency is done with the composite extension via transset. 

Translucency is handle by the app itself, ie atem, eterm, wm

Where as Transparecny would be handled by xorg.

Difference being

Transparent:
Capable of transmitting light so that objects or images can be seen as if there were no intervening material

Translucent:
Transmitting light but causing sufficient diffusion to prevent perception of distinct images

#7 2004-10-04 21:58:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

se·man·tics (s-mntks)
n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form: We're basically agreed; let's not quibble over semantics.

*cheers*

#8 2004-10-04 21:58:51

punkrockguy318
Website

Thanks for all the replies... And BTW that question was asked over a year ago, before xorg mind you... and when I didn't really know what x even was...

#9 2004-10-04 22:03:42

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

punkrockguy318 wrote:

bump... this is a useful post that I often refur to and I hate searching through 6 pages of stuff....

you could write a wiki doc that's easier to find... or post the info to your personal linux tips website... or bookmark the forum page...

#10 2004-10-04 22:04:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

or use post-it notes..... smile

#11 2004-11-15 17:15:26

xerxes2
Website

toffee wrote:

Please forgive a newbie question in this thread, but I wanted to modify my .Xdefaults file, but it is nowhere to be found in my ~/ folder nore anywhere else, at least with my meager

find

command skills!

I have just installed aterm with pacman, and run it a couple times.

Reading the man aterm pages made me look for the .Xressources file, also missing as far as I can see!

Any ideas why my system seems different than that of the rest of you?
running:

arch Linux 0.7 Wombat
xfce4 4.0.6
Xorg

Thanks

if you want a file you just run "vim /home/toffe/.Xdefaults" and if you got a mouse that supports middleclick you can just copy the contents into the newly created file,

otherwise "pacman -S gvim" and you got a super gtk editor,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#12 2004-11-16 00:52:40

sykotik

tofee wrote:

Please forgive a newbie question in this thread, but I wanted to modify my .Xdefaults file, but it is nowhere to be found in my ~/ folder nore anywhere else, at least with my meager Code:
find
command skills!

I have just installed aterm with pacman, and run it a couple times.

Reading the man aterm pages made me look for the .Xressources file, also missing as far as I can see!

Any ideas why my system seems different than that of the rest of you?
running:

arch Linux 0.7 Wombat
xfce4 4.0.6
Xorg

Thanks

The files aren't there by default, so just create them and add what you want.  I would aslo mention that .Xresources is only read when the X-server starts(AFAIK) so changes to it wont immediately affect your apps, however .Xdefualts will immmediately change your apps when changes are made to the file.

#13 2004-11-17 21:50:00

vicious

Is this transparency really desired? I admit, transparent terms are nice. But I  don't see a point in transparent gtk/qt widgets.
What is the purpose of transparency? It makes sense only when you would otherwise have large solid color areas (like in terms).
Eyecandy is ok, but everything must have some purpose.

Board footer