You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-04 22:07:08

gaah

Ardour, kernelXXmm

I read some threads about ardour and that it has issues with with newer gcc. would it cause problems if compiled with an older gcc? I don't see the problem...

and also, the kernelXXmm, is that special for low latency? what is the difference besides that? I mean, if the only thing about it was lower latency it would probably be the standard kernel, so it has to have some other disadvantages?

also, I read about the agnula/planet systems... can arch compete with these musicisans distributions? since I prefer arch to redhat or debian!

#2 2004-10-04 22:09:51

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Ardour, kernelXXmm

gaah wrote:

also, I read about the agnula/planet systems... can arch compete with these musicisans distributions? since I prefer arch to redhat or debian!

arch is general purpose - it probably wont compete directly with special distros (musician specific)... however it's not hard to get the exact same packages as those distros, being that everything SHOULD be open source and free....

#3 2004-10-04 22:17:08

gaah

yeah, that's what I kindo meant! sure, I'll do allot of music on my computer, but I also do other stuff so I don't want a music specific system!

#4 2004-10-05 12:57:51

dp
Website

gaah wrote:

and also, the kernelXXmm, is that special for low latency? what is the difference besides that? I mean, if the only thing about it was lower latency it would probably be the standard kernel, so it has to have some other disadvantages?

http://kerneltrap.org/forum/linux/kernel/2.6/mm

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-10-15 16:47:15

cbozic

Arch is my preferred distro for running ardour (and most apps, so I'm biased).  I currently use it along with qjackctl and plenty of ladspa plugins from the TUR's.  When I run ardour, I use kernel26mm but since it doesn't allow the low latency scheduling for users other than root, I just run my ardour recording sessions as root.  (I know it's not recommended.)

Ardour used to be a problem on arch because of gcc 3.4.  Ardour's last beta release supports gcc 3.4 so there's no more problem.  You can get the PKGBUILD here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … r&start=15

So, I hope your arch/ardour experience is as good as mine.

BTW: the "mm" kernel contains the low latency patch along with many other modifications to make it a pretty high performance kernel for most CPU intensive processes.  I've not had any bad experience with it except that there is occasionally some video driver wierdness.  But, arch's TUR's have helped make that easy too.

Board footer