You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-14 21:48:18

Chance

Python?

I've been reading the wiki tutorials that when i install gnome i can pick the packages i don't need. The question i have is that in my current ubuntu install i notice that python takes up 35-45mb of ram. Not that it's a lot, but i would like to try and make my arch install in the future run on as less resources as possible, in other words i want it to be screaming fast. What exactly is python and do i have to have it if i decide to install gnome, or even openbox?

If further details are need such as programs that i would normally be running, the majority of my time would be internet browsing (using epiphany-webkit or firefox if i really have to), VLC to listen to music or watch videos, read pdf files for school etc...and maybe run wine to play some games.

Thanks for your help.

#2 2008-12-14 21:57:21

Statix

Re: Python?

Python is an interpreted scripting language that a lot of programs use to run.
So memory used by python would be caused by the programs that are being run that use python.

Python is not necessary for most things (I'm not sure if gnome has any programs that use it, but openbox certainly does not.) However, it isn't a harmful background process or anything.
See the "required by" section:
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/python/
If you see any programs there that you use they could be what's using this memory.

Last edited by Statix (2008-12-14 21:58:07)

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#3 2008-12-14 22:13:07

Chance

Thanks for the tip. Looks like i still need it since i would need openoffice =/

#4 2008-12-15 22:12:50

coda

hi, don't mean to highjack your thread Chance, maybe I should make another one, let me know.

I've been getting this Python related error just seeing if anyone else is getting it.

coda ~ $ sonata 
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sonata/main.py:78: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import gtk, pango, threading, time, ui, img, tray, md5

I seem to be getting the

DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead

on lots of programs atm.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what this error is about.

#5 2008-12-15 22:15:17

skottish
Forum Fellow

coda wrote:

hi, don't mean to highjack your thread Chance, maybe I should make another one, let me know.

I've been getting this Python related error just seeing if anyone else is getting it.

coda ~ $ sonata 
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sonata/main.py:78: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import gtk, pango, threading, time, ui, img, tray, md5

I seem to be getting the

DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead

on lots of programs atm.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what this error is about.

It's not an error, it's a warning. And please, if you're having a problem with an application, search first, then start a new thread if necessary.

#6 2008-12-15 22:21:53

coda

I did search for hashlib but didn't see anything that seemed to make sense. Maybe I missed something.

So just leave the warning or is there a way to stop it?

#7 2008-12-15 22:57:29

elmer_42

coda wrote:

So just leave the warning or is there a way to stop it?

It just means that the Python devs are phasing out the md5 module and are using something else. It's nothing for you to worry about, and I'm sure the developers of whatever programs get this error will be implementing a new system in an upcoming release.

[ lamy + pilot ] [ arch64 | wmii ] [ ati + amd ]

#8 2008-12-15 23:24:19

coda

Thanks elmer_42, I understand now.

#9 2008-12-16 01:26:10

Ranguvar

Chance wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Looks like i still need it since i would need openoffice =/

Slightly off topic, but if you're going for screaming fast, forget about OpenOffice. Not only is the fork Go-OO noticeably more responsive (at least for me) (it does still require Python, but Python isn't slow really, only compared to compiled languages like C/C++), but there are other tools that can replace much of the functionality of OpenOffice in a speedier manner. AbiWord is a notable example. And, if you truly desire very high responsiveness/minimalism, Gnome is indeed off the list. An Openbox-like WM or a tiling WM would serve you well.

Board footer