You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-15 14:11:13

Super Jamie
Website

anybody using nvidia twinview + gnome + openbox + nautilus? help!

Hi all,

I'm actually experiencing this problem on Ubuntu, but I'm wondering if it happens in Arch too, before I go ahead and switch distros.

Using Gnome 2.24.1, Openbox 3.4.7.2, and Nautilus 2.24.1 (aka: Openbox\GNOME session in GDM) and the nVidia binary driver to do TwinView over two screens, I experience a strange problem, where I can only place desktop icons on the primary screen of the TwinView.

It doesn't happen under Metacity, indeed if I go "metacity --replace", then everything works fine. I've tried nVidia driver v173 and v96 (the card is an FX5200 with dual monitor outputs), with no change. Running an "xprop" on the 'blank' desktop area shows it to be a Nautilus desktop window, the same window as the 'working' desktop area, and right-clicking on it brings up the usual 'Create folder' etc menu, I just can't drag icons onto it.

I know I could use PCman, Thunar, Rox, etc etc to manage desktop icons, but I find Nautilus' GVFS support to be too useful to give up.

I've asked on Ubuntuforums, logged an Ubuntu Launchpad bug for openbox, and an Openbox Bugzilla bug, but they've all sat unresponded for two weeks.

To me, it seems like an Openbox bug, or perhaps an Ubuntu-specific Openbox build modification. If someone using nVidia TwinView + Gnome + Openbox + Nautilus could test this out under Arch, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Jamie

Last edited by Super Jamie (2008-12-15 14:13:18)

#2 2008-12-16 09:32:41

Super Jamie
Website

Re: anybody using nvidia twinview + gnome + openbox + nautilus? help!

I sat down today and did an Arch install on a spare harddrive. It happens in this distro too. I guess it's an Openbox bug.

If anyone else has input, here's my Bugzilla report: http://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3888

That being said, Arch is quite a nice distro. It's so much faster than Ubuntu, and I love the user tools, the minimalism, and the customisability.

I think I'll stick around smile

#3 2008-12-16 09:44:54

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Well then, welcome to Arch! wink

*has no idea about the bug/issue*

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2008-12-16 10:00:09

Rasi
Website

hehe.. now thats a different way to change distros...

...welcome on the dark side

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer