You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-15 21:19:37

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Openbox / Lxde with twinview

As a long time Xfce user i decided to give Openbox (standalone and w/ Lxde) a try. First impression is pretty good, although it seems to have trouble detecting my twinview layout, addressing it as a single big desktop instead (i know it's supposed to be a big desktop, but panels and stuff should adhere to monitor boundaries ofcourse). I don't know if this is an xrandr thing which Xfce somehow circumvents, but are there any fixes for this on Openbox/Lxde?

I don't want to use separate X screens. wink

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#2 2008-11-16 18:01:59

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Openbox / Lxde with twinview

I suspect this is a lxrandr problem, on which lxpanel and pcmanfm seem to rely for geometry(?). Tint2 has no problem detecting the screens and adjusting itself accordingly..

Last edited by litemotiv (2008-11-16 18:02:56)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2008-12-17 12:06:55

Super Jamie
Website

Re: Openbox / Lxde with twinview

the issue is the library that lxpanel uses to address window locations, it doesn't see the separate "screen areas" that twinview presents to X

i don't know what lxpanel uses, but i do know that libnetk (what xfce-panel 2.2 and below use) doesn't detect twinview regions properly. the xfce team are switching to libwnck for xfce 2.4. wnck is the library that gnome-panel uses, and detects twinview regions properly, so at least we'll have two working twinview panels soon

of course, this all has to do with the obfuscated output the nvidia binary driver passes, and could be improved upon if nvidia would open their drivers, but that's another story (me? bitter? never tongue)

Board footer