You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-12 20:06:39

Z-mon

Video Content will not play on XBox360 via Ushare

Hello everyone,

I am new to Archlinux and have just installed it on my home server.  I then went and installed ushare, after some hassle.  So finally ushare is installed and configured and I go to my xbox to watch a video.  All my videos are there, but when I go to play one I get the error that says this content may not be supported.
So I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to fix this problem?  I was thinking maybe I need to install a codec pack or something like that.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Knowledge is power, expand your mind.

#2 2008-12-12 20:08:59

INCSlayer
Website

Re: Video Content will not play on XBox360 via Ushare

if your files are on a ext3 formated filesystem they can't be played from the xbox the only solution is to format the space you store your media files on to ntfs

Last edited by INCSlayer (2008-12-12 20:09:08)

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#3 2008-12-12 20:15:31

Z-mon

if your files are on a ext3 formated filesystem they can't be played from the xbox the only solution is to format the space you store your media files on to ntfs

Thanks for the fast reply.   Is this an Archlinux specific thing?  That seems a bit strange, as I was using Ubuntu before and it worked fine with ext3 filesystem and I didn't think that linux could write to ntfs.  Could someone please clarify for me.  Thanks.

Last edited by Z-mon (2008-12-12 20:27:50)

#4 2008-12-13 18:30:55

INCSlayer
Website

if you have ntfs-3g installed you can write to ntfs i dont know if it is specific to arch but i know that all my media files played
when i kept them on a ntfs filesystem and when i reformated to a ext3 none of them played with no difference in the files or the sharing program i personally dont use
ushare i use fuppes so i suppose the problem could be in the problem but they use the same protocols to manager the transfers

EDIT:
after testing ushare and following the instructions in the wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Str … via_uShare
my files not only showed up but also play them

Last edited by INCSlayer (2008-12-13 18:51:49)

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#5 2008-12-15 01:03:11

dunc

Z-mon wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply.   Is this an Archlinux specific thing?  That seems a bit strange, as I was using Ubuntu before and it worked fine with ext3 filesystem and I didn't think that linux could write to ntfs.  Could someone please clarify for me.  Thanks.

I think that's a red herring. The filesystem shouldn't even be visible to the console over UPnP. I use Fuppes from an ext3 partition with my 360 and it works fine; it looks like it's either something specific to UShare or a configuration error on your part.

0 Ok, 0:1

#6 2008-12-15 16:15:01

brisbin33
Website

i share a folder on an ext3 drive out to my xbox and it works great.  some thing's i've encountered.

1) check your /etc/ushare.conf make sure it's

USHARE_ENABLE_XBOX=yes

and not just

ENABLE_XBOX=yes

2) mine plays avi's fine.  mp4's need their extension changed to .mov (don't ask me why, it just works)

3) i need my xbox to be on a wired connection or the video stops after ~20 minutes (might be my router's problem though)

Last edited by brisbin33 (2008-12-15 16:15:35)

#7 2008-12-16 02:00:38

Z-mon

well I don't know what the problem is.  I have made sure all my configuration is good and even forwarded the ports, but it still won't play my media.  So I tried to install fuppes.  Pacman couldn't find the package, so I tried yaourt.  When I did that I got errors in the build process saying:
saying that the command "svn" is not found and that the directory "fuppes" does not exist either.  So I went into the PKGBUILD to see what it was doing, but I don't know enough to change anything in there.  So could anyone help me out on how to fix this error?  Thanks.

#8 2008-12-16 15:57:36

brisbin33
Website

is your xbox up to date? i often get a message "an update is required to play this file type" then i update and it plays.  other than that, i got nothin.

edit: also, are you running iptables? check your hosts.allow/deny files.  my firewall's on the router so forwarding ports isn't required to get something to/from my xbox on my internal network.  your setup might be different though.

Last edited by brisbin33 (2008-12-16 16:00:30)

#9 2008-12-17 00:30:10

Ranguvar

brisbin33 may be right.

The Xbox is very picky about the formats it plays. You may just not have a proper media file for it. Try using a file that should definitely work? You know, like a vanilla 640x480 WMV9 video with <= WMV9 audio.

#10 2008-12-17 02:47:21

Z-mon

my xbox is deffinately up to date.  The thing is that all these files played when I had ushare installed on kubuntu, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the files right?  Or could I possably be missing a codec pack or something along those lines?

"edit: also, are you running iptables? check your hosts.allow/deny files.  my firewall's on the router so forwarding ports isn't required to get something to/from my xbox on my internal network.  your setup might be different though."

what would I have to edit my hosts.allow/deny files to to make this work?

#11 2008-12-17 15:05:39

brisbin33
Website

Z-mon wrote:

what would I have to edit my hosts.allow/deny files to to make this work?

by default, my arch setup had host.deny with

ALL : ALL : DENY

and then you let in specific connections to services in hosts.allow like this:

vsftpd : ALL : allow
sshd : ALL : allow

so my line of thinking was, you might need a line like this

ALL : 192.168.0. : allow

to let connections from your internal network in to ushare; it was a passing thought, and probably won't help as you can see your movies on the xbox, just can't play them. 

i've beat my head against the wall many times with arch (and ushare specifically) but it always ends being something i've done or not done causing the trouble (no matter how emphatically i deny that in the beginning).  all i can say is keep trying.

edit: i remember something about hosts.deny being deprecated and putting the ALL : ALL : DENY line at the top of hosts.allow and using only that file... i dunno, i never researched it further and didn't test/try that way of doing it; anyone who knows please correct me.

Last edited by brisbin33 (2008-12-17 15:07:19)

#12 2008-12-17 17:57:39

thewayofzen

ive got ushare installed and my 360 does FINE reading off ext3..  im not sure why or how i could help you but i can tell you that reformatting to ntfs is not necessary.

Board footer