You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-05 16:33:04

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

laptop fan go VROOOM

So my laptop is fully functional now... it was fun... only minor problem is this: sometimes some processes make the CPU go wild (it could be the SMP kernel for the HT P4s) and the fan kicks in as if it were a jet engine....
has anyone else experienced this?  it happens at random... I was watching processes with top to try to diagnose and top jumped to 99% CPU usage.... fan got louder and louder... so I killed top and it went back to normal...

it's kinda irritating when I sleep...

#2 2004-10-05 16:36:27

dp
Website

Re: laptop fan go VROOOM

what laptop is that (just in case i have to buy one for myself to not choose this model)

maybe it's a cron job that you can disable if sleeping

by the way: what about turning off your computer while sleeping? it saves power

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-10-05 17:25:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: laptop fan go VROOOM

well, the laptop is really nice.... hp pavillion zd7140 (512MB DDR, 60GB HD, 17" WXGA Widescreen, full keyboard, 802.11b/g wireless, a gajillion usb ports, firewire, and a card reader which reads every compact card known to man)...
I have the whole thing working (wahoo)

The thing is the acpi support only lists states S0,S3,S4, and S5 - none of which are standby or suspend..... I can shut the monitor down, but cant make it sleep....

I'm going to look into suspend-to-ram a bit more.... at least i could spin down the disks or something....

power management is the only stuff I haven't gotten too heavy into (i'm on AC power 95% of the time)

Board footer