You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 12:41:22

funkmuscle

kde mime types errors[SOLVED]

can anyone help with this? I get an error everytime I launch a KDE app.
this is the error:

Could not find mime types:
"inode/directory
"inode/blockdevice
"inode/chardevice
"inode/socket
"inode/fifo
"application/x-shellscript
"application/x-executable
"application/x-desktop

Icons are wacked out, nothing works properly. Happened since last update. KDE crashes now.

Last edited by funkmuscle (2008-12-18 19:22:35)

#2 2008-12-18 16:44:27

mutlu_inek

Re: kde mime types errors[SOLVED]

You could log out, do

rm ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache

and then log back in. Additionally, you could reinstall mime-types.

#3 2008-12-18 17:16:51

funkmuscle

mutlu_inek, thanx but I did everything you said and nothing worked.
i did the
rm ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache
didn't work,
reinstalled mime-types, didn't work,
uninstalled it and reinstalled it and nothing...
same error messgaes.

#4 2008-12-18 17:27:14

mutlu_inek

OK, ...

You can try reinstalling share-mime-info. It provides /usr/bin/update-mime-database which should put all kinds of mime types in /usr/share/mime/

If that doesn't help, which apps throw these errors? All or just some?

Also, can you locate the mime type files that are supposedly missing? (E.g. do "locate inode/directory", etc.) If they exist, which package do they belong to? (pacman -Qo <pkgname>)

If you use any KDE3 apps and have kdelibs3 installed, there should also be .desktop files in /opt/kde/share/mimelnk/. All of those you listed are indeed part of kdelibs3.

#5 2008-12-18 17:34:46

funkmuscle

I'm using KDE4mod...
share-mime-info...

sudo pacman -S share-mime-info
share-mime-info package not found, searching for group...
error: 'share-mime-info': not found in sync db

any kde4 app I launch does that...
I asked the same question at kdemod site but they take forever to answer so I posted and the main forum here.

locate inode/directory
/opt/kde/share/mimelnk/inode/directory-locked.desktop
/opt/kde/share/mimelnk/inode/directory.desktop

kdelibs3 gets installed with kde4.

#6 2008-12-18 18:08:56

mutlu_inek

$ locate inode/directory
/opt/kde/share/mimelnk/inode/directory-locked.desktop
/opt/kde/share/mimelnk/inode/directory.desktop
/usr/share/mime/inode/directory.xml

Obviously, the last one is missing. It is shared-mime-info (I forgot the "d") and I'm pretty sure that that will solve it.

#7 2008-12-18 19:22:04

funkmuscle

yep, fixed... thanx mutlu_inek..

#8 2010-09-16 20:48:20

linuxfan

Hi, I think i tried all of the above, making adjustments for the fact that I am using PCLinuxOS.

How my problem occurred stems from a botched install of additional Gnome components/tools. I'd previously allowed KDE and other dependent items install a goodly number of Gnome files. After the downloads but during the "Applying Changes" process, i for about 1 minute lost my wireless connection. I'd assumed all wireless needs were completed and no more communication would be needed, so I didn't worry too much. But, I allowed the Applying Changes process to continue for maybe another 30 minutes and by then i started to worry. Since i had to leave where i was and return  home, i suspended my laptop, and when i returned home, i resumed. I let the process continue but nothing happened.

Then, i realized my file types associations were botched. I COULD watch DVDs, but i could not run Dolphin, KDE file manager, Kate, KWrite, and a slew of other apps that didn't work. Icons did not appear.

Initially, i started trying to undo various parts of the Gnome install, but in think i selected one or more files that would have required deleting ALL OF KDE and hundreds of apps that were installed before Gnome and got associated with Gnome, causing a demoralizing and infuriating demand on me. It isn't the first time i've had a package manager tell me that 85% of my installation would have to be ripped out for the sake of removing some supposedly stand-alone app. So, i cancelled the uninstalls.

I tried changing permisssions, security levels, file ownerships and such, and nothing meaningful happened.

(An aside: Linux has GOT to have better self-diagnostics. Every time an upgrade happens, a mini- or relevant snapshot of what was last working should be periodically looked at during a current run, and if an app is acting wonky, the system should look for dependencies changes compare the system to the recorded linked dependencies and dependants and provided files -- all assuming there is no malicious source but just a bad install...)

Then, i decided to log in as root. Root could see ALL of the icons/mime types associations, and all apps i tried worked without hiccup- even though i don't think i correctly restored ownership or files permissions. I started a parallel session of various user accounts (with one i had copied root's mime-related files and changed ownerhship and permissions) but nothing behaved as i expected.

Finally, i did what i thought i should have done the first time. I revisited the Gnome files and began testing for what i could remove and not nuke my other files in the process. I got lucky and picked ONE Gnome file that uninstalled maybe 20 or fewer files. WIthout even having to log out, i saw mime-types restored to sanity. A much better user experience has got to arise. I only fixed it because i walked away a few days and came back calmer, and persisted, since i've persisted with Linux since 1999. But, the average person, the newbie, tne non-programmer will probably not put up with this.

Now, i still have intermittent crashes of KDE and Dolphin, but at least so far none of my selected files vanished when the file managers crashed.

#9 2013-04-10 02:05:15

ewaller
Administrator

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer