You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 04:59:05

clu

hostap, orinoco and wpc11 v.3

Here is a rather puzzling module loading problem. I have a linksys wpc11 v.3 wireless card which I managed to get working with WPA and the hostap driver. However, inserting the card without causing a kernel panic requires a strange sequence of loading and unloading modules.

First of all, after boot, inserting the card causes a kernel panic. If the card is left in, there is a kernel panic during the boot. The card also causes a kernel panic on insert if hostap_cs is loaded, or if hostap_cs is loaded with orinoco_cs also being loaded.

So, the only way to insert the card without a kernel panic is to have orinoco and orinoco_cs loaded without either hostap or hostap_cs being loaded. Once the card is inserted hostap and hostap_cs are automatically loaded but the card is using the wrong driver according to lspcmcia. So now, I remove the card, rmmod orinoco and orinoco_cs and then reinsert the card. Voila, now lspcmcia shows hostap being used by the card, and lsmod shows hostap, hostap_cs and no orinoco stuff at all.

So, does anyone know why this is happening? I'm assuming I should simply be able to load hostap and hostap_cs and then be able to insert the card without a kernel panic.

Kick out the jams! -- AUR

#2 2008-12-18 13:52:52

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Re: hostap, orinoco and wpc11 v.3

I might try to submit a bug report upstream.

Board footer