You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-20 18:03:23

Skynt

Problems with X

As a newbie to Linux in general, I've come a long way thanks to Arch. I've been successful at every step except configuring xorg.conf and getting startx to work right.

I'm basically following the steps in the beginners documentation and I created my ~/.xinitrc file with exec xterm in it,
I did # pacman -S xorg
then # pacman -S xf86-input-evdev
and then # pacman -S mesa
since I'm using a dell 1530, there was a wiki article on ArchLinux.org that suggested just using the Nvidia package and friends, so I did
# pacman -S nvidia
ran # nvidia-xconfig
and finally I ran # depmod -a

My xorg.conf file was generated by that nvidia-xconfig command so everything appeared correct. I then went on to doing the X Baseline test,
# su - myusername
I had already created my ~/.xinitrc file
and finally I ran startx as a non-root user.
It started and all that displayed was a small white window in the upper left hand corner of the screen with a command line where I couldn't type, I couldn't move the mouse, I couldn't alt-ctrl-backspace, or restart arch. What could be the problem?

#2 2008-12-20 19:39:24

Hrod beraht

Re: Problems with X

Skynt wrote:

...I couldn't type, I couldn't move the mouse, I couldn't alt-ctrl-backspace, or restart arch. What could be the problem?

Check out the Before testing the server note in the Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf section of the beginner's guide.

Bob

Board footer