You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-24 10:18:35

dlanor78

can't start x or gnome

Here's the dealio.  I installed the Arch Linux 0.7 base using the ftp method.  That seemed to go fine.  Then after a reboot did the whole make root password and make new user account.  Also went fine.  Then using pacman -Sy I installed xorg (then ran the config tool with hopefully correct info) and gnome (with extras).  When I type startx my pc just locks up.  I can't ctrl+alt+backspace out of it.  My num lock and caps lock lights won't turn on and off.  All I can seem to do is hit the reset button on the pc.

I rebooted and tried installing gdm.  The install went fine, but when I type gdm I get the same as if I typed startx.  I'm I missing something that should be obvious?  Maybe run the xorg config again?  I've used all the values I would use for something like debian, but I think debian still uses xfree86.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2004-09-24 10:41:41

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: can't start x or gnome

It sound like your xorg.xonf is set up wrong ... when you startx can you use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to console .....???

Do you see X on screen when you start X ... have you set up your video drivers ATI/Nvidia ??

HTH

Mr Green

#3 2004-09-24 11:46:26

dlanor78

I'll try the ctrl+alt+f1 thing first chance I get.

I do not see X on screen when I startx, it's a completely black screen.  When going through the xorg configuration, I set it up to use the generic nvidia drivers untill I can get the official drivers set up.

It's entirely possible I made a config error.  I will run through it again and try that ctrl+alt+f1 if the problem persists.

#4 2004-10-03 04:41:10

dlanor78

It's been awhile since I got a chance to mess around with Linux, but I tried running the xorgconfig again.  The startx and gdm commands still seem to lock up the pc.  ctrl+alt+f1 (or any other f keys) do nothing.

This time when starting up I noticed that the swap partition failed to initialize (I think that's what it said) so perhaps that's where the problem is.  Or part of the problem at least.

I suppose I'm down to reinstalling and double checking all my options along the way to make sure I'm not missing something..

#5 2004-10-03 07:16:27

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

dmesg | grep swap

I do not think you will have to reinstall because X does not start....

try using hwd to get xorg set up.....

HTH

Mr Green

#6 2004-10-06 08:00:56

dlanor78

One or both of those worked.  I did both so not really sure, but probably both were needed.

Board footer