You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-20 04:44:24

victoria

Ventrilo & Warcraft III in Wine.

Not sure if this is in the right section or not...

But, whenever I try to open WC3 in Wine, it like reboots my system sort of...it kind of logs me off and I have to log back on and open all the programmes again, and WC3 won't load, it restarts everytime!

And Ventrilo: I can't hear anything because I'm missing the codec GSM 6.10, and I can't resize the window.

Help?

I am a noob.

#2 2008-12-20 08:07:22

initbox

Re: Ventrilo & Warcraft III in Wine.

You need to get the codec from an existing Windows installation or off the web.

Do you mean a complete reboot, or just the graphical environment? Do you know if your graphics drivers are working?

#3 2008-12-20 08:09:58

shazeal

Best bet is to check the wine application database. http://appdb.winehq.org/

Search for the apps there, should have the links/fixes you need.

#4 2008-12-21 08:34:49

emily

Ventrilo can be a real pain in the arse to get working, and even once you get it going it likes to freeze up over time while it's running. As for the issue with the GSM codec, you can work around it following the instructions found on the WineHQ page for Ventrilo. Alternatively, you could have the people switch the server over to using Speex, which when tweaked properly sounds the same as or better than GSM and will work without any extra configuration.

An even better idea if you want to avoid headaches with Ventrilo entirely and use a multi-platform + open source alternative which has better sound quality than Ventrilo imo anyway, look into Mumble. I use it myself and it is a rather mature project which works really well and has nice sound quality. It uses the Speex codec and has very low latency, which is nice.

As for the issues with running Warcraft 3, try out the wine-stable package from the AUR. WoW 2.4.3 crashed for me when running it with the wine in the repositories, but works great with wine-stable, which is based off the version of wine that is considered stable by the wine developers. Cheers.

Board footer