You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-08 09:22:23

dninja
Website

[solved] various X problems after upgrade

I did an upgrade last night and when I restarted this morning I had a couple of problems so thought I'd document them just in case anyone else had them.

First off gdm didn't start. The xorg log complained about this line in my xorg.conf

RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

so I edited the file and commented it out.

I then did a startx and everything started ok but both my mouse and keyboard were frozen. All the apps started up ok.

The last line in the xorg log file was this so I did some googling but didn't find much

config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))

After some other random searches I found someone else complaining of the same problem, their fix was to add this to the xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option         "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

I added those lines, started X and it now works fine. I still have the config error at the end of the xorg log so I guess that is something else unrelated.

Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.

#2 2008-12-08 18:32:45

ihavenoname

Re: [solved] various X problems after upgrade

this maybe the problem that I am having , I'll try this. Thanks!

In this land of the pain the sane lose not knowing they were part of the game.

~LP

#3 2008-12-08 18:41:09

zenlord
Website

The solution you suggested is merely sticking with the old-fashioned way instead of adapting the new way to configure xorg.

If neither mouse or keyboard are working in X, then my guess is you don't have evdev installed. If you have it installed, you probably didn't read the wiki and you didn't setup X with HAL policies instead of the 'old' /etc/X11/xorg.conf-way.

Zl.

#4 2008-12-08 19:08:07

dninja
Website

Looks like I've got some installing and reading to do, I've never heard of evdev.

#5 2008-12-23 15:12:18

dninja
Website

I've got evdev installed and I know it is working because my keyboard mappings are now all bust! It seemed to be working until after 7 hours of use and in the middle of an important voip call with a client the same lockup happened again. No alt-tab, no change window focus etc.

How can I use xorg 1.5 without evdev? I've tried with the work around line in and it still locks up.

Board footer