You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-04 23:14:29

adlucem

(Installation and) configuration CHECK LISTS

Hi all,

Still a newbie to Linux and to Arch (I installed it before the summer). I'm going to install Arch on a new laptop in a few days.

I think it could be interesting for many if Arch-savy people posted their check lists. It doesn't have to be edited: one raw checklist is worth a thousand "checklists that I will post after I take time to edit it"!!

Going through other's checklists can give ideas, and point newbies like me to things interesting to consider.

Thank you!

"The rules of Go are so elegant, organic and rigorously logical that if intelligent life forms exist elsewhere in the universe they almost certainly play Go." E. Lasker, International Chess Master.

#2 2007-10-04 23:54:08

fwojciec

Re: (Installation and) configuration CHECK LISTS

I generally use the wiki/beginners install guide as checklists whenever I have to install Arch - I start with post installation tips and just go down the list.  Also, I make sure that my user is in all the necessary groups asap (tty lp wheel log slocate network video audio optical floppy storage power users).  Then I set up sudo.  I have /home backed up generally so I restore it next (having /home backed up makes configuration a non-issue).  I prefer to set up everything from CLI first so that when I finally log into X everything is as I like it and ready to use - installation is more fun/interesting that way tongue

Last edited by fwojciec (2007-10-04 23:57:18)

#3 2007-10-05 01:53:01

SleepingGiant08

fwojciec wrote:

I generally use the wiki/beginners install guide as checklists whenever I have to install Arch - I start with post installation tips and just go down the list.  Also, I make sure that my user is in all the necessary groups asap (tty lp wheel log slocate network video audio optical floppy storage power users).  Then I set up sudo.  I have /home backed up generally so I restore it next (having /home backed up makes configuration a non-issue).  I prefer to set up everything from CLI first so that when I finally log into X everything is as I like it and ready to use - installation is more fun/interesting that way tongue

Pretty much exactly what i do, except the backups. Also, i set up all the bare necessities (sudo, vi, etc.)  then install X, and go on down the list from there.

Welcome to Arch, good luck on your new install smile

Registered Linux User #439761

#4 2007-10-05 02:30:23

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

fwojciec wrote:

I generally use the wiki/beginners install guide as checklists whenever I have to install Arch

I'm happy that the many hours I spend tweaking the Beginner's Guide have not gone to waste! wink
I'm glad it helps you get things done.

#5 2007-10-05 03:18:28

fwojciec

Misfit138 wrote:
fwojciec wrote:

I generally use the wiki/beginners install guide as checklists whenever I have to install Arch

I'm happy that the many hours I spend tweaking the Beginner's Guide have not gone to waste! wink
I'm glad it helps you get things done.

It's an excellent resource - and definitely not for beginners only - the many hours have certainly not been wasted.  I feel kind of guilty for not contributing to the wiki myself - maybe this winter when I have some more time I'll try to write some guides or update stuff that's may be outdated....   In either case, I'm sure your work is appreciated by many people - myself included smile

#6 2007-10-05 03:39:18

stingray

adlucem wrote:

I think it could be interesting for many if Arch-savy people posted their check lists. It doesn't have to be edited: one raw checklist is worth a thousand "checklists that I will post after I take time to edit it"!!

Ok, you said raw was ok... I started this checklist about the 2nd time I installed Arch, I find that I refer to it less and less, but there are some things in it that I setup only once after install, so I tend to forget how I did that...  Again, It's raw, not even spell checked...  you might get something out of it. Some of it is also outdated...

---- Install notes:
if a cache of pacman is available from another drive on the same computer...
Start install from CD
Chose FTP install and begin installing, after pacman is downloaded and 
packages database is updated, it will ask if you want to keep packages
that are downloaded, Stop here and do the following... [alt-F2] for another window
#mkdir mypkgs
#mount -t ext3 /dev/sda5 /mypkgs  (mount the drive that has the packages)
#mount --bind /mypkgs/pkg /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg 
#ls /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg     (make sure the packages are there...)
then after the base install make sure the packages are mounted in the new install...
fstab example:
/dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5 ext3 defaults 0 1
/mnt/sda5/pkg /var/cache/pacman/pkg none rw,bind 0 0

Install note: about host name, something about helping speed...
in rc.conf
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
#
HOSTNAME="rickshp"
#

Just add your hostname in /etc/hosts like this :
#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost rickshp

----none GUI                DEAMONS()

nfs-utils    (NetworkFileSystems)    DEAMONS(portmap nfslock nfsd)
samba        (Windows shares...)
p7zip        (xarchiver is a GUI fontend that works with it...) 
        (7za e -ppassword file.7z location)
wipe        (like eraser...)
--for school image stuff
zip
unzip
p7zip        (xarchiver is a GUI fontend that works with it...)
dosfstools    (mkdosfs)
partimage    (community)
parted

--- Splashy
Note: in AUR as of Sep 2007, follow the Wiki... http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Splashy

: You may need to set a CONSOLEFONT in rc.conf for
 : gensplash vc backgrounds to function correctly at startup.
 : Arch uses default8x16.psfu.gz as a default.

:Also notice that in /etc/rc.conf you must specify the font name 
 :without extension (.psfu.gz). Eg:
Note it also need quotation marks...
CONSOLEFONT="default8x16"
might try setting it to LOCALE="en_US", might help with Splashy?

----GUI stuff
xorg
xorg-video-drivers
xorg-input-drivers
kde                    DEAMONS(kdm)  (auto start KDE login)
                    DEAMONS(lisa) (for KDE LAN brousing of networks)
j2re        (java support)
hal        (media:/ support)    DEAMONS(dbus hal) 
gnome?
ttf-ms-fonts     (fonts)
ttf-dejavu    (fonts)

----GUI applications
openoffice-base                                    Linux/Windows
openoffice-spell-en
openoffice-spell-es
opera                                            Linux/Windows
flashplugin
firefox                                            Linux/Windows
firefox-il8n
gimp        (printing support in gimp depends on gutenprint. Install it if you need printing.)
inkscape    (A vector-based drawing program)                    Linux/Windows
audacity    (I had to add my own icon for it...)                    Linux/Windows
scribus        (A desktop publishing program)                        Linux/Windows
gaim    (need to finish setting it up)                            Linux/Windows
xarchiver     (GUI fontend that works with 7zip)
conky
amarok-base    (music player/organizer...)
--- setup conky ---
put .conkyrc in home folder of root, rick, etc...
create link to conky on startup
    link /usr/bin/conky /root/.kde/Autostart/conky
"im using a conky script on found on here, i have to problems with it, first is if i run it, then it makes my desktop icons disappear."
"Try changing "own window type" from "root" to "desktop" and if that doesn't work try changing it to "normal" or "override" (without quotation marks).  Different settings are needed for different DEs/WMs."
-------------------
mplayer
lirc ?    for mplayer    (This is for inferred remote controls, I think?)
vlc    for DVD's                                    Linux/Windows
ogle    for DVD's (will probably get better...)                        Linux

codecs    for Quicktime Codecs & Realplayer codecs 

====== All Computers ===========
rc.conf        TIMEZONE=America/Lima
resolv.conf    nameserver 200.48.225.146
        nameserver 200.48.225.130 
issue        delete clear screen stuff...
--- KDE Keyboard layouts for en/span...
in KDE, start Control Center, Regional & Accessiblity, Keyboard Layout,
[X] Enable keyboard layouts
US English
Spain
--- fix console font not showing lines when using custom .bashrc .zshrc
rc.conf        LOCALE=        (nothing, the 0.8 install autodetects this, but causes font to be lost.)
might try setting it to LOCALE="en_US", might help with Splashy?
--- keep monitor from going to sleep
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf add the 4 options...
Section "ServerLayout"
      Option "BlankTime" "0"
      Option "StandbyTime" "0"
      Option "SuspendTime" "0"
      Option "OffTime" "0"

--- fix 1 second hanging with KDE sounds
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=19784
Turn off the realtime option in the sound config. or Turn off the Auto-Suspend option in the sound config.
--- Automaticaly keep time correct on startup
pacman -S openntpd
DAEMONS(@openntpd) or /etc/rc.d/openntpd start
--- "The Common UNIX Printing System ("CUPS") 
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS_Setup
pacman -S cups ghostscript
    To get the PPD file for your printer, go to http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi and select the manufacturer and model of your printer.
cp your_printer.ppd /usr/share/cups/model/
example: HP-Color_LaserJet_2600n-foo2hp.ppd
*** left off here, need to keep going, but kathy went to bed...

====== HP Pavilion dv5000 ======
xorg.conf (worked by default)
sound       (worked by default) note, if sound is really low, you need to boot into WinXP and turn the volume up, something about windows changing volume on the hardware level. (helped!)
--- for 1280x800 -or is it 1280x1024 ?
pacman 915resolution (community)
rc.local    /usr/sbin/915resolution 38 1280 800 24
--- for 1280x1024 in GRUB / Consoles
adding vga=795 does not work, I think because it needs the 915resolution patch to even get 1280x1024...
might try some of the ideas given here... http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=36304
--- for Compiz fusion (work in process)
(http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compiz_fusion)

#7 2007-10-05 12:28:30

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

fwojciec wrote:

It's an excellent resource - and definitely not for beginners only - the many hours have certainly not been wasted.  I feel kind of guilty for not contributing to the wiki myself - maybe this winter when I have some more time I'll try to write some guides or update stuff that's may be outdated....   In either case, I'm sure your work is appreciated by many people - myself included smile

Thank you for saying so, I really appreciate it. It makes it worthwhile to hear this. smile
I really do spend many hours per week tweaking it, and, hopefully, improving it. wink I just happen to have the time and ability lately, so why not give back to the community?
I encourage everyone to do the same if they have the time.

#8 2007-10-05 12:32:23

Matt3o

may I suggest to add to the wiki some notes about multi-core processors with cpufreq? apart from that I find the beginners guide absolutely perfect.

#9 2007-10-05 20:15:59

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Matt3o wrote:

may I suggest to add to the wiki some notes about multi-core processors with cpufreq? apart from that I find the beginners guide absolutely perfect.

Hmm..There are some notes about cpufequtils, as well as a link to the cpufrqutils page. I notice you are stressing multi-core interaction with it. I see no such notes in either place, and have no experience with cpufreq. If you have something to add, post it here and I will add it, or feel free to add it to the guide. smile

#10 2007-10-06 07:28:46

Matt3o

I found no notes about setting up cpufreq with multi-core processors. Searching this forum and google I found various solutions, but the easiest one to me is to modify /etc/rc.d/cpufreq.

Look for:

cpufreq-set $params

Replace with:

cpufreq-set -c 0 $params
cpufreq-set -c 1 $params

If you have four cores you just need to add -c 2 and -c 3. This little piece of code assigns the params to each core, otherwise they are assigned just to the first core.

I am not sure if this is the right way of setting up multicores, so I am not going to modify the wiki, but it works great for me.

As an addendum, I'd suggest to just comment out min-freq and max-freq. Cpufreq just knows which are the right speed steps for your processor. I think you should alter those number only if cpufreq is picking up wrong frequencies.

Edit: It is said that powersaved manages both cores without hacking scripts (if cpufreq is updated the modifications on /etc/rc.d/cpufreq would be lost, I guess). Anyway powersave is deprecated and probably replaced by pm-utils + acpid. I don't know if acpi daemon manages cpu frequencies, but the wiki suggests to install acpid only on laptop, so desktop users are out of luck.

Last edited by Matt3o (2007-10-06 07:49:02)

#11 2007-10-06 09:26:29

adlucem

Thanks stingray for your checklist!

And all for your suggestions.

The wiki is indeed very useful, thumbs up to Misfits for your efforts!

However this is not what this thread is about (wiki-> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=13), let's keep it on track, ie. about checklists.

"The rules of Go are so elegant, organic and rigorously logical that if intelligent life forms exist elsewhere in the universe they almost certainly play Go." E. Lasker, International Chess Master.

#12 2008-12-23 16:56:56

toad
Website

As an Arch newbie I'd be lost without it! Noticed a couple of things so got myself a wiki account straight away to add my 2cs' worth.

Before I even knew what Arch was I heard and had made use of its fantastic wiki.

As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and so far it tastes delicious smile

Last edited by toad (2008-12-23 16:57:48)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Board footer