#1 2008-12-12 01:03:24

N30N

Yo Frankie! Release Online!

yofrankie_psp.jpg
download.png

#2 2008-12-12 02:03:26

lldmer

Re: Yo Frankie! Release Online!

It's actually in AUR:) Download is really slow though (10-20 Kb/s, for 205 MB download).

edit: ohw, the download link was a link to AUR:P

Last edited by lldmer (2008-12-12 02:04:07)

For lack of better words: chair, never, toothbrush, really. Ohw, and fish!

#3 2008-12-12 02:35:24

elmer_42

I'm running makepkg right now. The download is going to take about 20 minutes, though. I'll report back once I've played it a little bit.

[ lamy + pilot ] [ arch64 | wmii ] [ ati + amd ]

#4 2008-12-12 03:10:00

lldmer

hehe, I like it. I could finish a full game of this:)
Sound didn't work for me though:

WARNING: Sound actuator "poo" from object "BirdRig" failed to load sample.
WARNING: Sound actuator "poo impact" from object "BirdRig" failed to load sample.
WARNING: Sound actuator "flap wings" from object "3d sound helper" failed to load sample.

#5 2008-12-12 04:48:09

N30N

lldmer wrote:

ohw, the download link was a link to AUR:P

Sorry that wasn't very clear was it.

elmer_42 wrote:

The download is going to take about 20 minutes

Good to hear, took me about 12 hours to get it from the blender.org server (be interesting to know how many downloads the game gets).

lldmer wrote:

Sound didn't work for me though

Grrr, sorry again I was testing with my own svn build of blender. Changing

export NAN_NO_OPENAL=true

to false in the repo's blender PKGBULD should do the trick. There are binaries included with the game but they are not optimized at all and where quite buggy on my system (full freeze ups).

Edit: Just noticed none of the PKGBILD's about have openal enabled, so if anyone's interested here's mine. wink

Last edited by N30N (2008-12-12 05:17:19)

#6 2008-12-12 05:49:15

xelados
Website

What sort of game is it, anyway? I scoured the entire site and found nothing regarding its gameplay.

Is it just another one of those 'furry animal' platforming games that doesn't offer anything new? Any interesting mechanics or features that I can't find in console offerings? It's pretty cool that they developed that using nothing but open tools, but it's not getting a download from me unless the actual game is good. It takes more than pretty graphics to keep a gamer's attention.

#7 2008-12-12 06:20:20

xaiviax

xelados wrote:

What sort of game is it, anyway? I scoured the entire site and found nothing regarding its gameplay.

Is it just another one of those 'furry animal' platforming games that doesn't offer anything new? Any interesting mechanics or features that I can't find in console offerings? It's pretty cool that they developed that using nothing but open tools, but it's not getting a download from me unless the actual game is good. It takes more than pretty graphics to keep a gamer's attention.

Their  youtube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Canbxj0RBTk

#8 2008-12-12 12:11:03

MoonSwan

I searched the entire site as best I could but found no system requirements listed anywhere.  Could someone give me a rough idea of what kind of vid card/cpu/etc you need to play this?

Which engine is your pkgbuild using and whats the difference between them anyway?  I couldn't find an answer to this question either.  They seem to make a good game but that website is a pain or I'm just plain stupid.

#9 2008-12-12 14:13:05

elmer_42

Well this is weird. It's running at about one frame per second. The same thing happens with Nexuiz, but Urban Terror and Tremulous work just fine. I wonder what the problem could be?

#10 2008-12-12 14:30:42

N30N

MoonSwan wrote:

I searched the entire site as best I could but found no system requirements listed anywhere.  Could someone give me a rough idea of what kind of vid card/cpu/etc you need to play this?

Best way to tell is to just try it. To use the (optional) GLSL shaders you will need at least a 6xxx series nvidia card (I'm not sure which ATI cards started supporting it).

MoonSwan wrote:

Which engine is your pkgbuild using and whats the difference between them anyway?

The PKGBUILD is using the blender game engine. You can check the making of YoFrankie blender conference video for more info.

elmer_42 wrote:

Well this is weird. It's running at about one frame per second. The same thing happens with Nexuiz, but Urban Terror and Tremulous work just fine. I wonder what the problem could be?

Perhaps your graphics card and/or CPU is throttling (what do you have)? Dose it happen with low textures and sharers turned off?

#11 2008-12-13 00:45:08

MoonSwan

Thanks for the quick reply Neon.  I will take a look at the video and try your pkgbuild this weekend if I can.

#12 2008-12-13 02:26:42

lldmer

N30N wrote:

Edit: Just noticed none of the PKGBILD's about have openal enabled, so if anyone's interested here's mine. wink

Ok, just tried with your blender PKGBUILD, and sound is working now:)

Back to the extra levels now:P

#13 2008-12-13 15:36:29

elmer_42

N30N wrote:

Perhaps your graphics card and/or CPU is throttling (what do you have)? Dose it happen with low textures and sharers turned off?

I use an XFX 7600GT with an AMD X2 5000+ Black Edition (overclocked in BIOS to 3.0GHz). I realized I had F@H going right when you mentioned throttling. I quickly stopped it, set the graphics to low and turned the shader off and it worked just fine. Then, thinking the cause was F@H I turned it all back up and it stuttered like a really stuttery thing. Now I can't even get to the menu to lower the settings again. Is there some sort of file it reads settings from that I can edit?

#14 2008-12-13 17:56:25

N30N

elmer_42 wrote:

Is there some sort of file it reads settings from that I can edit?

~/.yofrankie/levels/start_menu.bgeconf

#15 2008-12-14 00:20:00

elmer_42

N30N wrote:

~/.yofrankie/levels/start_menu.bgeconf

I don't have that file, or even that folder. =/

#16 2008-12-14 11:25:18

N30N

elmer_42 wrote:

I don't have that file, or even that folder. =/

Oh right, I change where it was saved in the updated PKGBUILD (for better security/multi-user support). Previously it was /usr/share/yofrankie/levels/start_menu.bgeconf but the file is not very human readable anyway. hmm

#17 2008-12-14 11:35:59

Xauthority

I start the game but have no sound.
I have tried it with ALSA and OSS 4.

Detected GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
Detected GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
Detected GL_ARB_multitexture
Detected GL_ARB_shader_objects
Detected GL_ARB_vertex_shader
Detected GL_ARB_fragment_shader
Detected GL_ARB_vertex_program
Detected GL_ARB_depth_texture
Detected GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
read library: lib //../chars/butterfly.blend
WARNING: Sound actuator "poo" from object "BirdRig" failed to load sample.
WARNING: Sound actuator "poo impact" from object "BirdRig" failed to load sample.
WARNING: Sound actuator "flap wings" from object "3d sound helper" failed to load sample.
WARNING: Sound actuator "menu_music" from object "Cam_StartMenu" failed to load sample.
WARNING: Sound actuator "menu_sound" from object "menu_logic" failed to load sample.
Warning, sensor "menu_delay" has lost a link to a controller (link 2 of 3) from object "menu_logic"
possible causes are partially appended objects or an error reading the file,logic may be incorrect
Warning, sensor "menu_delay" could not find its controller (link 3 of 3) from object "menu_logic"
there has been an error converting the blender controller for the game engine,logic may be incorrect
Warning, sensor "sensor2" has lost a link to a controller (link 1 of 1) from object "butterfly_logic"
possible causes are partially appended objects or an error reading the file,logic may be incorrect

#18 2008-12-14 14:42:49

xaiviax

Using Oss4, installed blender, no sound.  Installed using N30N's package build, sound is great.

#19 2008-12-14 16:39:58

el_zoona
Website

I had the chance to talk with Pablo Vazquez (a.k.a. VenomGfx), the argentinian developer in the Apricot Project, when he came back to Argentina. He gave a nice talk about Blender, Yo Frankie! and FLOSS developing. I just wanted to presuming :-D.

Now seriously, I asked him about the low frames issue (15 max here, Athlon 64X2 4200 2.0 Ghz, 1,5 Ram, Nvidia 7300 LE 256 mb, not a gamer machine but pretty average) and he told me that they developed the game with high end PCs. So the requirements are not exactly low, wich is normal in a professional game this days.

// Send more Chuck Berry

#20 2008-12-15 02:41:47

jumico

From what I've seen other people say it's not exactly a very good game but it is a game.  That's the whole point.  They wanted to show that it could be done more than anything else.  Now that it's been done they'll do it again.  It'll take a while but they'll keep getting better.  I think it's awesome that players can make their own levels and submit them.  I know it's not a new idea but it's still cool.  I played the beta and it ran ok on my Pentium m 1.8 laptop with integrated video.

#21 2008-12-24 00:34:39

cookiecaper

No sound with PulseAudio or straight ALSA here.

Doesn't play with TwinView; game is split between the middle of my two monitors, instead of activating a MetaMode and staying on one screen... which makes it unplayable.

Board footer