You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-20 07:12:38

mohtasham1983

Azureus not downloading [Solved]

Hi,

I installed 64 bit version of Arch a few days ago, and I really like it. However, I'm havinga a small problem with the Azureus for downloading torrent files. I started downloading four torrent files, but didn't see any progrss. Since, Azureus was complaining about NAT, I used port forwarding feature of my router and solved the problem, as the NAT test returned success message. I restarted Azureus, and didn't see any progress in downloads. 

I have Azureus installed on my laptop(Ubuntu) in the same network and have no trouble with it. In ArchLinux I use version 3.0.1.6 while on ubuntu I have Vuze 3.1.1.0. Also, my archlinux runs Java 1.5.0 of the Free Software Foundation, while my ubuntu runs Java 1.6.0_10 of Sun Microsystems.

I had some doubts about user permission, so I added my user to the wheel group and ran Azureus, but the download didn't start again.

I think this is not working because , I don't have Sun Java installed on my computer. Any idea how to install the stable version of Sun Java?

Does anybody know how to get rid of such problem?

Thanks

Last edited by mohtasham1983 (2008-12-20 12:14:50)

#2 2008-12-20 09:45:35

Runiq

Re: Azureus not downloading [Solved]

First of all, try to make sure there's nothing wrong with the download itself, e.g. verify that everything's okay with the tracker and that there actually are peers to download from,

Second, if it's really a Java problem (which I don't think it is): As far as I can see from pacman -Si azureus, Azureus depends on the swt package, which in turn depends on either of the two Java runtime environments: openjdk6 (free) or jre (directly from Sun, as far as pacman -Si jre tells me). So, try to install jre if you have installed openjdk6 at the moment and see if it works that way.

On the other hand, you could always try rtorrent, unless there's some fancy functionality you absolutely need that rtorrent doesn't support (yet). rtorrent is lighter on resources (it's a command-line program with a ncurses interface) and works at least equally well for me as azureus did back in the days. wink

Last edited by Runiq (2008-12-20 09:49:33)

#3 2008-12-20 09:57:06

mohtasham1983

I used to use transmission on my laptop before, because I didn't want to spend a lot of resources on Azureus. However, I found it a little bit hard to open 10 tabs in terminal, execute a command and download 10 torrents at the same time. I'm not sure if it was a solution to get around with this problem, that's why I started using Azureus, even though it uses a lot resources.

I got a new quad core desktop computer which has an amazing performance. I don't think using Azureus along side any other big application produces any trouble for me in terms of speed and resource usage, especially because I'm using Arch, I have never seen my CPU usage reach 100%.

Anyway, thank for letting me know about rtorrent. I will give it a try and if I find it user friendly, I will forget about Azureus.

#4 2008-12-20 10:15:58

Runiq

Yeah, I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to these kinds of things. tongue

mohtasham1983 wrote:

I used to use transmission on my laptop before, because I didn't want to spend a lot of resources on Azureus. However, I found it a little bit hard to open 10 tabs in terminal, execute a command and download 10 torrents at the same time.

Hm, if I understood that correctly, there's a 'watch directory' feature that addresses this. Both rtorrent and transmission provide it (azureus doesn't from what I just saw). You can download your torrents to a specific directory and rtorrent/transmission start downloading it right away, no need to manually add it to the queue.
There's also a daemon mode in rtorrent (don't know about transmission) so you don't need to open any terminal windows at all, just save your torrents to the watch directory and run the daemon.

Anyways, I just installed azureus (I have openjdk6 installed on my system instead of the Sun jre) and it worked fine with the archlinux install image torrent.

Last edited by Runiq (2008-12-20 10:25:46)

#5 2008-12-20 10:20:33

Runiq

EDIT: Oops, sorry for double post...

Last edited by Runiq (2008-12-20 10:23:23)

#6 2008-12-20 11:27:14

mohtasham1983

Thanks man. I just installed and configured rtorrent, and started downloading my movies. I'm not sure if how I can get the best out of my quad core CPU. I do all my programming and text editing using vim. That's why, I don't know how to make the CPU usage to 100%. On Linux and specially Arch, you don't really need multiple core processors.

#7 2008-12-20 11:43:49

Runiq

No prob. smile

Oh, a quad sure does come in handy sometimes. I have a lowly 2005-ish laptop and I'm doing some quite extensive computing for work, like mass spectroscopy stuff, and we work with raw files about 1-10 gigs in size, so I need every bit of horsepower available. A bit more would be really nice sometimes, I tell you...

Plus, multiple processors can be set up for cross compiling. This way, if you compile something, the job gets split up between your processors.

EDIT: Oh yeah, please mark the thread as [SOLVED] if the torrent thing works now, thanks smile

Last edited by Runiq (2008-12-20 11:46:07)

#8 2008-12-23 20:24:22

alecmg

I replaced java-gcj-compat with official jre and azureus worked ok

Xyne wrote:
"We've got Pacman. Wacka wacka, bitches!"

#9 2008-12-24 11:41:43

tuxfusion

Hi guys,
should one file a bug report on this ?

I have log files
( *groar* logfiles must have bee replaced /not saved would need to
recreate the situation )
where java-gcj-compat creates Nullpointer
exceptions only visible in the azureus debug console ,
It simply won't work with this java-gcj-compat , however
azureus loads fine and users will be tricked everything might work fine.
I spend 1 or 2 days figuring it out ( fighting NAT n such ) when i saw  the log files
and remembered what I did last year or so to solve it ...

Should Azureus depend on JRE(Sun) then ?

BR & happy holidays

#10 2008-12-24 13:09:43

mohtasham1983

I have started using rtorrent, but it wouldn't be bad if you share how you specified azureus to use Sun JRE?

I'm not sure if this is the bug with Azureus or Java. If you know it, go ahead and report it to the appropriate place.

#11 2008-12-24 13:59:57

tuxfusion

Now this is simple Sun's JRE & JDK conflicts with java-gcj-compat you can't have both in your system ....
But if you pacman -S azureus  it auto pulls java-gcj-compat which  is fail in my opinion.
Ill file a bug report and let more people clearify this , have to uninstall java and to get proper error logs from azureus first  ;(
Merry Christmas!

Board footer