You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-24 17:17:05

john_schaf

handling special keys with no "up" code ?

Hello everyone,

I don't know where to post this, so I start here.

My laptop (samsung nc10) has Fn-keys that can be bound with xbindkeys, but some other don't send an "key released" or "up" signal, making them useless (because the kernel send auto-repeat for that key, leading to infinite loop when bound to this).

I would have an idea to fix this :
By simply adding an option "-noup" to "setkeycodes" so that the kernel would send the keyreleased automatically for those keys would do the trick.

Does anybody have an input for this ? Would that be possible ?

and Merry christmas

#2 2008-12-25 07:32:46

bji

Re: handling special keys with no "up" code ?

I think that first you should exhaust all possibilities for fixing this behavior at the kernel level.  If it's truly a hardware issue, where the hardware does not issue key up events, then I think that solutions like the one you have proposed are a good idea.  But if the problem is that the driver that handles these keys for some reason doesn't recognize the key up events from the keyboard, then I think the issue is best solved at the driver level.  This will allow the keys to work for everyone, even those who haven't figured out that some special xbindkeys command is needed to get the keys to work properly.

Board footer