You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-07 00:23:50

scusack

howto install firefox extensions

Hi all,

I have searched the forums and after following the advice, ie changing the permissions on ~/.mozilla I still can't load firefox (version 1.0 Preview Release) extensions.

I have been trying to load sage.mozdev.org, I click on the "click here to install", after it downloads I click "Install Now" and then it opens the firefox Extensions window but it is blank.

I even tried "chmod -R a+w ~/.mozilla" just to see if it was some other file that firefox needed write access to, but still no luck.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Regards, Simon Cusack.

#2 2004-10-07 01:01:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: howto install firefox extensions

I haven't tried any extensions on 10, but try running it as root and see if it works. that'll decide once and for all if its a permission problem.

Dusty

#3 2004-10-07 08:15:23

cs25x

All of the directories need user  +rwx, and the files need user +rw. That includes hidden files, and I cant remember if there are any. If there are do not use -R  .*  it recurses right down to / & that takes a lot of time to fix.  roll
I had the same  problem and it went away after I fixed these. But there might have been one extension that would only load with root user. Assuming that you are not trying to load with a global reach.

The other thing you could try is to move .mozilla to some other name, and restart firefox, and then replace important files like bookmarks.html.

--(*(cs25x--));

#4 2004-10-07 15:10:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

well, obviously something is wrong..... do this (yeah you lose soem settings)

rm -r~/.mozilla

then run firefox again as your user... not as root or anything like that

this will recreate the directory as the user who ran firefox....
permissions should be fine automatically

#5 2004-10-07 15:32:44

mike182

Did you recently upgrade from an earlier version of Firefox?  I ask this because there is an apparent problem with firefox 1.0 adopting your old settings.  In this case, I'd go ahead and suggest that you do just what phrakture suggested and wipe your current settings and let firefox create a new profile and such.  I had similar problems until I started clean.

[..save the penguins..]

#6 2004-10-07 16:03:13

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:

well, obviously something is wrong..... do this (yeah you lose soem settings)

rm -r~/.mozilla

IIRC, this isn't a good idea if you run thunderbird or the mozilla suite, cause they install files there too. rm -r~/.mozilla/firefox is better.

Dusty

#7 2004-10-07 16:09:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

well, i was saying to remove it because the .mozilla dir had permission problems, correct?

if you need to save thunderbird stuff, backup the right folder.... it's down in there... I couldn't tell you where.... .mozilla/thunderbird/<random crap>/Mail IIRC

Board footer