You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-25 18:52:33

neok
Website

Can I install/maintain linux remotely on another computer?

Hi,

I have at least two or three potential converts to Linux, friends who would be interested in trying or using Linux. Its difficult for me to visit them on a regular basis, especially if they are not living nearby, to do the installation and help them maintain it.

Could I possibly install Arch Linux remotely, via an internet connection to a friend's computer, perhaps after he boots  a live CD installer? If this works I recon I can slowly gain more converts, as a lot of people I know are just cheesed off with the various security/stability/cost etc issues of MS.

My thanks in advance.

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2008-12-25 22:00:56

drag0nl0rd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Can I install/maintain linux remotely on another computer?

I prefer the first instalation on site, in case of any major problem I don't want let people there with not working computer. But after that, maintaining the updates through an ssh connection is very easy, actually, as long you really know what is needed to be done. Software like 'openssh' 'screen' 'mc' are very handy. Take a closer look, if you don't already know them. I do this now for my 3 converted friends and even as they are in other countries then I do, it works pretty well smile
I wish you luck and if you need more informations, just ask.

#3 2008-12-25 23:04:19

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I don't think you should do this. Arch isn't meant for users who need someone to hold their hand and walk them through the system. Even worse, you'll make them dependent on you for system maintenance, which will not only cut into your time but it will also leave them in trouble when you're unavailable. If they want to try Linux but don't want to do the dirty work of Arch, help them install Ubuntu and then suggest Arch later.

If you really are determined to do this, you can ssh into the live CD during installation. When I did this, I needed to set the root password first, but after that it worked.

Make sure you really consider all of the security issues that doing this will entail.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2008-12-26 12:35:11

neok
Website

Xyne wrote:

I don't think you should do this. Arch isn't meant for users who need someone to hold their hand and walk them through the system. Even worse, you'll make them dependent on you for system maintenance, which will not only cut into your time but it will also leave them in trouble when you're unavailable. If they want to try Linux but don't want to do the dirty work of Arch, help them install Ubuntu and then suggest Arch later.

If you really are determined to do this, you can ssh into the live CD during installation. When I did this, I needed to set the root password first, but after that it worked.

Make sure you really consider all of the security issues that doing this will entail.

I think you have a point here. If they cannot install Linux by themselves (actually one did) then Arch is not for them. I guess I will try to get them to install Xubuntu since I use XFCE and am not familiar with kde or gnome and then help to maintain it, remotely.

Thanks for all replies.

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

Board footer