You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-08 06:37:50

marte

screen + urxvt = no hardstatus / message line

hi,
when using screen with urxvt there's no hardstatus (or "message line", i'm not sure about how to call it).
i mean, when i type ctrl+a w, nothing appears. the same with other commands that display info on the message line. if i set "hardstatus alwayslastline" i can see the outputs, but i miss one line of the terminal...
on xterm everything works fine, on aterm too.

any ideas?

here's my .screenrc:

[marte@godzilla ~]$ cat .screenrc
term screen-256color
altscreen on
vbell off
startup_message off
termcapinfo rxvt-unicode 'hs:ts=\E]2;:fs=\007:ds=\E]2;screen\007'

thanks in advance.

#2 2008-06-08 07:20:56

marte

Re: screen + urxvt = no hardstatus / message line

i guess it has something to do with rxvt-unicode terminfo. if i "export TERM=xterm" in urxvt and then open screen, everything works like it should...

#3 2008-06-08 16:55:34

thayer
Fellow
Website

hrmm mine works fine, but I don't have "term" or "termcapinfo" defined in my screenrc:

[thayer@dublin:~] $ cat .screenrc 

# dublin screenrc

autodetach on         # autodetach on disconnect/close
startup_message off   # disable intro msg
defscrollback 8000    # default scrollback buffer
vbell off             # enable visual bell

#escape ``            # replace C- escape sequence
escape `e             # double-tap backtick toggles screen windows

bindkey -k k; quit    # bind F10 to Screen's quit command

# Window numbering starts at 1
bind c screen 1
bind 0 select 10

# load some apps (last listed will be focused)
screen -t shell    3
screen -t ncmpc    4  ncmpc
screen -t rtorrent 5  rtorrent
screen -t htop     10  htop
screen -t shell    2
screen -t shell    1

defflow off           # disable flow control
nethack on            # nethackish status messages
altscreen on          # restore window contents after a vi session

# show window list at bottom of screen, with time/date/current window
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string '%{gk}[ %{G}%H %{g}][%= %{wk}%?%-Lw%?%{=b kR}(%{W}%n*%f %t%?(%u)%?%{=b kR})%{= kw}%?%+Lw%?%?%= %{g}][%{Y}%l%{g}]%{=b C}[ %m/%d %c ]%{W}'

Oh yes, and it's generally a bad idea to falsify the $TERM setting--it has side effects. For urxvt, $TERM should be defined as rxvt.

Last edited by thayer (2008-06-08 16:59:48)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2008-06-08 17:31:27

marte

even without the termcapinfo line in .screenrc i get the issue (this line server for the window title in the wm follow the title of the window in screen).

but if i export TERM=rxvt, and then open screen, everything works like it should.

other issue with TERM set as rxvt-unicode: arrows doesn't work in finch.

#5 2008-06-08 17:54:21

thayer
Fellow
Website

marte wrote:

even without the termcapinfo line in .screenrc i get the issue (this line server for the window title in the wm follow the title of the window in screen).

but if i export TERM=rxvt, and then open screen, everything works like it should.

other issue with TERM set as rxvt-unicode: arrows doesn't work in finch.

I don't have much experience with the termcap stuff, but I do know problems can arise if you incorrectly define TERM.

Last edited by thayer (2008-11-21 19:46:34)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#6 2008-06-08 21:27:50

marte

the file /usr/share/terminfo/r/rxvt/rxvt-unicode exists, but for instance i'll set TERM to rxvt in .bashrc.

thanks for the answers thayer!

#7 2008-07-27 20:10:29

zombie_monkey

I had the same problem with urxvt under ratpoison. I tried it under Openbox and found that the message line is displayed as the title of the window. When there is no message to display "Unnamed Window" is displayed.

Note: I actually tried it under openbox for a different reason, it seems ratpoison's "defborder 0" doesn't work, at least the version of ratpoison you can install with pacman, and at least for urxvt, xfce-terminal and firefox; under openbox urxvt and firefox are border-free but xfce-terminal still has one smile

PS: Also, the default $TERM in urxvt is rxvt-unicode, which can indeed be found in /usr/share/terminfo/r/rxvt/ -- and "export TERM=rxvt" fixes this, but I'm sure it will break something else so I'm not using it. I'll go with the alwayslastline solution [EDIT: that seems to fool with irssi display]. I don't have termcapinfo entries in .screenrc either, will that be a solution?

Last edited by zombie_monkey (2008-07-27 21:21:43)

#8 2008-11-21 14:24:20

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Sorry for the necro, but I'm having a similar issue. I want it to be lastline as it is in tty, except that I can't figure out how. I don't want to use alwayslastline. According to the manpage, I could possibly edit the termcap info, but I don't know what to change. I also found this link: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/scree … 00042.html

Anyone know how I can solve this?

I tried using the following in screenrc, but it made it do alwayslastline:

terminfo rxvt-unicode 'hs@'

EDIT: SOLVED:

hardstatus off

Last edited by Daenyth (2008-11-21 14:35:09)

#9 2008-12-26 14:22:36

zombie_monkey

I then gave up, but recently I think, with the last Xorg update, xfce-terminal started being very slow especially with vim, it can use up to 100% of the CPU sometimes, so I remembered I had almost had urxvt figured out, so I decided to dig for a solution, and it turns out all I needed to do was RTFM.
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentatio … en_17.html

If your terminal has a status line defined in its termcap, screen will use this for displaying its messages, otherwise the last line of the screen will be temporarily overwritten and output will be momentarily interrupted.

Ovciously urxvt uses the title bar of the window for that purpose. I did an experiment and added a hardstatus string line to .screenrc and it shows up in the title bar, and is replaced by messages when there are any. When I added "hardstatus off" the hardstatus string alwasy remains in the title bar and messages are displayed in reverse video in the last line as we all here in this thread wanted them to. Just experiment with the commands in that link smile

TLDR version: just add "hardstatus off" to .screenrc

#10 2008-12-26 14:31:56

dolby

# F11 turns hardstatus off
bindkey -k F1 hardstatus alwaysignore
# F12 turns hardstatus on
bindkey -k F2 hardstatus alwayslastline

i find these quite useful

Last edited by dolby (2008-12-26 14:32:28)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

Board footer