You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-25 00:36:28

azwethinkweiz

Can not log in to KDE

I haven't used Arch in quite sometime and I just installed it today dual boot with Vista. I decided to try KDE for the first time and I am a bit stuck suddenly. The system boots as normal and KDM comes up. I enter my name and pw and the screen goes black and KDM comes up again. I had logged into KDE once and installed my video driver and configured xorg. After rebooting I have been unable to log in.

"The hardest thing is rendering a moment moving to fast to endure"

#2 2008-12-25 01:28:55

Bralkein

Re: Can not log in to KDE

I had this problem recently due to an nvidia driver problem. I managed to diagnose it by running TWM, opening an xterm and running "plasma" which is the name of the KDE 4 deskop shell. You could also try the command "startkde". If/when it crashes, it will say something in the terminal window and hopefully this will help you diagnose the problem. Doing it by the console saves digging through xorg logs, anyway. If you get your hands on the specific error message but don't understand it, post it again here.

#3 2008-12-25 03:01:04

maschino
Website

Often you can find useful information about kde crashes in ~/.xsession-errors :-)

Greetings,
maschino

#4 2008-12-25 04:03:43

JooBlixlarz

If you use an nVidia card, it's a driver problem.

In your Xorg.conf add the line

Option    "BackingStore" "False"

in the "Device" section, and it should be fixed.

...with a crowbar.

#5 2008-12-25 09:47:25

ichbinesderelch

may it be that you have installed the new xorg? i had to totally create a new xorg.conf file so that kde worked again, i never compared the two what was the difference(maybe i should have done that to fix that problem easier, but, you know, lazynes), with the old xorg.conf other wm/des worked wihtout problem, just kdm  returned to the login screen again and again.

#6 2008-12-25 18:14:08

archlinuxsagi

you can try deleting xorg.conf. Xorg server 1.5 can work without xorg.conf since Input Hotplugging is enabled by default.

#7 2008-12-26 17:18:03

azwethinkweiz

Well I played with it for a while and had a friend who has much more Arch experience than myself look at it as well. We couldn't come up with anything so I just removed KDE and installed Gnome. Everything went nice and smooth with Gnome and my machine is running faster and better than ever so I'm happy. I'm not sure I would've been happy with kde anyways...it's always seemed a bit too 'animated' or cartoonish...for my taste. Not sure if that makes sense. Gnome has just always seemed cleaner and more professional looking in a way to me. Oh, well to each his own. All I know is I have Arch installed and running again and Im happy as hell about. Thanks for the input guys, as always Arch forums provides some of the best support you can find, and quick as hell at that. Back on the best distro in existance!

"The hardest thing is rendering a moment moving to fast to endure"

Board footer