You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-26 00:58:09

hack.augusto

ext3 + win? LVM?

# <file system>         <dir>           <type>          <options>               <dump>  <pass>
/dev/sda2               /mnt/win        ntfs            ro,user,noauto          0       0
/dev/sda3               /               ext3            defaults                0       1
/dev/sda4               /boot           ext3            defaults                0       1
/dev/sda5               /mnt/files      ext3            defaults                0       1
/dev/sda7               /var            reiserfs        defaults                0       0
/dev/sda6               /mnt/linux      ext3            defaults                0       0
sda: sda1 < sda5 sda6 sda7 > sda2 sda3 sda4

I'm trying to use my /dev/sda5 in my Windows setup - can't play WoW in linux with vesa drivers : \, terrible video hardware -, but it proved to be a hard thing to do because it is logical partition(?), I've tryied Disk Internals' linux reader, ext2 IFS, and Explore2fs, none worked.
I did some research but I got confused with the LVM idea, could someone explain the difference between LVM, a logical partition, and raid?

#2 2008-12-26 20:11:09

hack.augusto

Re: ext3 + win? LVM?

Well, I'm trying the explore2fs virtual volume it works, but it is a really poor implementation - beta -, if someone have a better project, please tell me.

Anyway, can someone explain me LVM vs logical partition vs raid?

TIA

#3 2008-12-26 22:27:10

vogt

Who needs WoW, when you have nethack and pacman -Syu! I've used the ifs driver, and it seemed to work pretty well.

Your explanations:
    lvm: groups together separate physical storage volumes, making it easy to manage lots of partitions on lots of disks; you get to stop worrying about contiguous partitions (logical volumes) when you use this.
    logical partition: partition tables only allow 4 partitions (primary), so to get more you stuff them into a logical partition that is inside a primary partition. Lvm can use physical volumes that are logical partitions
    raid: group together physical storage for performance and redundancy; both of the above can use raid partitions.

EDIT: that video driver issues may be solvable, though you have to describe it better...

Last edited by vogt (2008-12-26 22:30:39)

#4 2008-12-27 04:43:14

hack.augusto

vogt wrote:

Who needs WoW, when you have nethack and pacman -Syu! I've used the ifs driver, and it seemed to work pretty well.

OK, I tryed ifs again, you are rigth it works, but I needed spend about 3hours to backup my data, remove my partition and remake my file sytem because it was with inode=256 - do not know why hmm -

vogt wrote:

EDIT: that video driver issues may be solvable, though you have to describe it better...

I have SiS Mirage 3 on-board video, no DRI on linux, terrible fps, no way to play ... on winXP I get a playable fps - this was actually unexpected -

Board footer