You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-27 23:13:15

Redrazor39

Alternative menu/Quicksilver Launcher for Xfce?

I need a good launcher for Xfce. I hate the menu because it's terribly messy and a pain to customize, so if there is a good menu that's clean, well designed, and a pleasure to use out there that will work without many dependencies, then please let me know.

Better yet, is there some sort of Quicksilver-esque launcher for Xfce? I know there's Gnome-Do, but that's Gnome, not Xfce-Do. It also does not have the extensive features of quicksilver, but mainly I need something that launches programs with a few keystrokes, learns over time, and can create/move/extract/etc. files and packages.

Any ideas?

#2 2008-12-27 23:31:20

alex_anthony

Re: Alternative menu/Quicksilver Launcher for Xfce?

Launchy, which is popular on windows, is available for linux now. You might want to try that
Gnome do does have the extensive features with plugins

#3 2008-12-27 23:34:54

Redrazor39

I'm checking out the website and it seems really nice! One question though: Is it light? Snappy, fast, crisp, responsive, instant? All those are great because while I do have a moderately powerful laptop (not a monster, but it runs vista very smoothly), I am using Arch with Xfce and a bunch of lightweight programs to get a superfast system (except firefox, which I will replace with midori or opera one of these days unless updates cure the bloat problem).

#4 2008-12-31 15:07:20

Lord Illidan

Redrazor39 wrote:

I'm checking out the website and it seems really nice! One question though: Is it light? Snappy, fast, crisp, responsive, instant? All those are great because while I do have a moderately powerful laptop (not a monster, but it runs vista very smoothly), I am using Arch with Xfce and a bunch of lightweight programs to get a superfast system (except firefox, which I will replace with midori or opera one of these days unless updates cure the bloat problem).

I found Gnome Do to be quite responsive. I am on a 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 Gigs of RAM. I must say I like Gnome Do a lot...very useful. Of course YMMV.

#5 2008-12-31 15:15:23

Redrazor39

Wait... I was talking about launchy. So gnome do will run just fine on xfce?

#6 2008-12-31 15:18:42

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

gmrun, bashrun, dmenu.
gmrun is quite accessible, featurefull, customizable etc.
bashrun is comparable and a bit less polished, but you get to use your own bash aliases and functions etc.
dmenu is very light and simple, but also least featureful

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#7 2009-01-01 00:24:44

Lord Illidan

Redrazor39 wrote:

Wait... I was talking about launchy. So gnome do will run just fine on xfce?

Try it and find out? tongue
It's a Gnome program but XFCE has no probs running gnome programs.

#8 2009-01-01 02:22:56

Intrepid

Gnome-do is nice, however, if you want something lighter on memory (i.e. not written in C#/mono), I highly suggest Gnome-Launch-Box.  It is the ONLY applauncher which checks both my Wine application list and my desktop for scripts.  Imo it's more cohesive without things I do not want (many of the Gnome-do plugins).  Thus, I am unsure if can do what you want (you want basic file management?).  To make it look good, run it like so:

gnome-launch-box -t -n

You can configure which keybinding invokes it by using gconfeditor and editing the /apps/gnome-launch-box/ entry.  I also use gmrun and dmenu, which provide completion for commands.  However, to see your programs nicely, gnome-launch-box works well.  Gnome-do is the runner up for me, but learn the plugins and you'll love it.  Xfce has its own command, xfce4-appfinder, which is alright.

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-01-01 02:30:36)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#9 2009-01-03 20:04:01

alex_anthony

Regarding launchy, i don't know about the speed because I haven't tried it. I saw it was released from some of the blogs i read.
You can run gnome-do on xfce, but you may have to install quite a lot of dependencies. These don't slow you down (I use do in LXDE quite a lot - i have lxde and gnome installed) but they will make your updates a bit heavier.

#10 2013-07-10 20:09:57

MaTachi

xfce4-appfinder is excellent! Thnx for the suggestion

#11 2013-07-10 20:44:11

ewaller
Administrator

I think I am going to go ahead and close this three and a half year old thread now....
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.22

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer