You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-08 22:01:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

laptop heat issues

Ok, this is a big problem.  Playing Warcraft3 on my laptop under windows, my CPUs are barely touched (very little usage) and the heat doesn't get bad unless playing for like 3-4 hours....

Now running neverball on my linux machine, the heat (according to acpi crap) jumps to some huge amount (like 75C) and the fan starts running like crazy.  In addition, cpu utilization is at about 70-90%.

Now neverball is obviously not as graphically intensive as warcraft3.... what is causing this?  it's very irritating.

I have NWN so I may install it on both OSes and see if there is a difference...

I am assuming that I'm missing some key configs and things like that.  It just "feels" like neverball isn't using the graphics card enough, otherwise the cpu wouldnt be working so hard.... it has a freakin GeforceFX for god's sake... neverball should run like OJ Simpson!

#2 2004-10-13 17:37:57

ChrisX

Re: laptop heat issues

I have never played neverball, but one thing that makes a huge difference on how software runs on a computer (ie: how much cpu it uses) has to do with how the software was written.  Warcraft3 is a game that was more than likely built to squeeze as much work out of every cpu cycle as it possibly can.  Neverball seems to be a game that was written to be very spiffy with graphics.  If you read the faq there is mention of fairly powerful hardware being needed.

http://icculus.org/neverball/#faq

Along with that in the fact it continues on mentioning ways to minimize the need for computer resources.  In this particular problem, it seems that the way the two different pieces of software are written are what is determining why neverball needs so much cpu power.  Also, since you said you have a GeForce FX ( so do I  big_smile ) You should make sure you have the most up to date nvidia drivers.  They come out with new drivers fairly often, and people say each new release seems to be significantly better than the previous.  I this info helps you out.  Good luck.

#3 2004-10-13 17:44:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah, that makes sense... I didn't think about how neverball was made...

However, comparing graphics, warcraft 3 is much, much better - particle and lighting effects and complex models.... neverball just has a ball... and a map to move around on.

Actually I think my issue is running windowed... I'd try running fullscreen, but then I can't get my cpu temp easilly... but I'm sure running windowed in X has something to do with it... later on I'm going to get winex configured so I can get warcraft running on linux from my ntfs partition (yes, yes - I need VS.NET and Photoshop as well as some VPN software for work)... we'll see if it's a game problem (neverball vs warcraft3) or an os problem (win vs linux)... if it's just a flat out problem with the linux setup, I'll investigate further....

#4 2004-10-18 22:30:18

fuse

I think we have the same laptop (HP zd7140us) or at least one with very similar specs. It's neverball imo, I run WC3 and FT (WineX / Cedega CVS) and it doesn't get real hot. If you have the same laptop did you ever get the card reader to work, I don't think it does from reading around but thought I would ask.

#5 2004-10-18 23:01:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

heh, yeah we have the same... haven't tried to get the card reader to work really... I don't have any flash cards lying around, otherwise i'd try - my camera is usb...

yeah haven't tried wc3 under winex just yet, haven't had the time.

but I'll blame the heat on neverball itself... 8)

Board footer