You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-31 05:00:38

arnuld
Website

PSU fried out the Motherboard ?

My computer was working fine and then suddenly last night it started behaving in some weird ways:

---  First, one partition of my SATA HDD developed bad sectors.
  ---  Then, my 2nd IDE HDD started taking looooong times to boot. Usually it takes around 20-30 seconds to boot but now it takes 12-13 minutes.
  ---  After some time, it stopped recognizing my both DVD drives. There are no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd or /dev/hdc links coming up.
  ---  Now, pushing the power button of my cabinet does not turn off the computer. Well, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.
  ---  Even after 13 min of booting time, it does not work fine, I keep on getting some weird messages I can not comprehend.

I suspect I have a poor power supply which fried out the MOBO. This was the new power supply I got 4 days ago.  So I have removed the newer PSU and using my older one.  When I get boot-up messages, except of taking 7 min just to show the grub menu, it takes too long to go next after these messages:

1.)  ide-cd
   2.) Ethernet Card

Power Button seems to be working fine with this old PSU. when I am logged in, I usually get this message after every 5 or so minutes showing up on the tty I am logged in:

* /dev/hdc Lost Interrupt 0x000000 .....

what can you deduce from all this ?

#2 2009-01-01 05:27:58

okplayer02

Re: PSU fried out the Motherboard ?

i would check your bios and see if all your devices are recognized the usual make sure all the cables are properly connected  and also i would test ur power supplies if possible seems like that was when ur problems began. were u having problems with ur old ps in the beginning is that why you bought a new one just few things to run by you.

Say what is good or keep silent  --Prophet Muhammad (SAW)

#3 2009-01-01 14:48:49

pyther
Website

Sound like your power supply wrecked some havoc!

You were probably not getting any power to the mobo with the new power supply, so the switch wouldn't work or the switch may have been working but the power supply was unable to switch on.

From what you've said it seems like you may have a faulty motherboard now, but it could be the hard drives, cpu, ram, etc...

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#4 2009-01-02 04:44:01

arnuld
Website

Now it may look strange but here is what I have found:

Since both DVD drives were not working, so I removed one of them. Then I saw computer was booting instantly without any trouble :-\ , So I checked both drives and found that my DVD-RW had its jumper set on Master pin. There are 3 pin sets, (near the IDE-Connector) from where we can set primary and secondary drives.  Each set has 2 pins, and we put the jumper in vertical position to make it Master or Slave.

It was default factory setting which I did not check. I, myself, have set the jumper of my DVD-ROM to be on Master pins, as I wanted it to be my primary DVD drive. Now both DVD drives were carrying jumpers on master pin-set and I think that confused the BIOS because it showed only one DVD when both were connected and it showed it like:    [Oo LT] 0LBHwerx(a triangle here)Wp(some weired character here)eW0   , I can not even type some of the characters here that BIOS showed to me. So I put the jumper of my newer DVD-RW to Slave pin-set and woooooosh... computer started to boot like earlier, I am running it from last 14 hours and I have rebooted it around 6 times and it is working fine. No more errors like Lost Interrupt or c<0x5> command not found.

If that is the reason for 15 min boot-time then I don't understand why the SATA HDD developed bad sectors ?

and when I repartitioned it and created a file system on it (using my older but correct PSU), it did not complain of any bad sectors ?

#5 2009-01-02 20:17:04

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Two IDE drives on the same channel set to master are bound to create problems, some bioses may just show you garbage on the device detection and others might mess the whole system, as you found out the hard way.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer