You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-03 16:20:36

john.meikle37

[SOLVED] Pacman errors/weirdness

Hi, I recently installed Arch Linux on my PC. I have had experience with the Arch Linux distribution before so I roughly knew what I was doing. When I sucessfully installed Arch Linux I logged on and setup my wireless connection. After that I updated my system with:

pacman -Syu

It told me that there was an update for Pacman, but I wanted to update my system first of all so I skipped it. It installed during the package update process anyway. When it installed the new pacman version it created a new "mirrorlist" file as "mirrorlist.pacorig", so I deleted the old one and renamed the new one. But it seems to be having some bother, it is going really slow (probably nothing to do with the "mirrorlist" file) and it is detecting that I have a newer version of some packages than in the repositories. Why is this?

I apoligise if this is just a small error on my end but it was really fast before this update and functioning really well.

EDIT: I will reinstall my system just incase I have done something wrong somewhere.

Last edited by john.meikle37 (2009-01-03 22:02:16)

#2 2009-01-03 16:24:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman errors/weirdness

john.meikle37 wrote:

Hi, I recently installed Arch Linux on my PC. I have had experience with the Arch Linux distribution before so I roughly knew what I was doing. When I sucessfully installed Arch Linux I logged on and setup my wireless connection. After that I updated my system with:

pacman -Syu

It told me that there was an update for Pacman, but I wanted to update my system first of all so I skipped it. It installed during the package update process anyway. When it installed the new pacman version it created a new "mirrorlist" file as "mirrorlist.pacorig", so I deleted the old one and renamed the new one. But it seems to be having some bother, it is going really slow (probably nothing to do with the "mirrorlist" file) and it is detecting that I have a newer version of some packages than in the repositories. Why is this?

I apoligise if this is just a small error on my end but it was really fast before this update and functioning really well.

EDIT: I will reinstall my system just incase I have done something wrong somewhere.

There's nothing wrong. You need to comment out, or move ftp.archlinux.org to the bottom of the list. It's heavily throttled so people don't use it as their primary server. Unfortunately, there really isn't a good way to have a default server list. So, find mirrors close to where you live, move them up to the top of the list, move archlinux way down or off of the list, and everything will be fine.

#3 2009-01-03 17:21:53

john.meikle37

I appreciate your kind help skottish, it solved my problems. I have selected the three Great Britain mirrors.

However, I have come across another problem. When I download packages some of the dependancies cannot be downloaded for either two reasons (transient error or address not found). Is this indicating a problem with my connection or is it the mirrors that are causing the problem?

I managed to reinstall Arch Linux and got onto installing/configuring Xorg but for some reason my keyboard and touchpad (laptop) don't work and I think it might be because the generic drivers haven't downloaded. That's all I can think of because it my keyboard and touchpad worked perfectly before and required no reconfiguration at all.

#4 2009-01-03 17:43:46

skottish
Forum Fellow

john.meikle37 wrote:

When I download packages some of the dependancies cannot be downloaded for either two reasons (transient error or address not found). Is this indicating a problem with my connection or is it the mirrors that are causing the problem?

That's what it sounds like to me. See if you have the same problem with different mirrors. If you do, come back and let us know.

john.meikle37 wrote:

I managed to reinstall Arch Linux and got onto installing/configuring Xorg but for some reason my keyboard and touchpad (laptop) don't work and I think it might be because the generic drivers haven't downloaded. That's all I can think of because it my keyboard and touchpad worked perfectly before and required no reconfiguration at all.

The changes in the new xorg-server have been somewhat tricky. You'll either need "xf86-input-evdev" or to disable hotplugging in xorg.conf. Take a look at this:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … server_1.5

I can't remember off the top of head how to prevent X for loading while you still have keyboard control. Hopefully someone will jump in and help there.

#5 2009-01-03 21:12:11

john.meikle37

Thanks a lot! Everything seems to be working properly now. I think it was a problem with the mirrors I was using, I changed to Netherlands and it works fine. Xorg hotplugging fixed my other problem too.

Again, thanks!

#6 2009-01-03 21:42:27

skottish
Forum Fellow

john.meikle37 wrote:

Thanks a lot! Everything seems to be working properly now. I think it was a problem with the mirrors I was using, I changed to Netherlands and it works fine. Xorg hotplugging fixed my other problem too.

Again, thanks!

Sweet! I'm glad that it's working for you.

When you're done with threads, please mark them as [SOLVED]. If you don't know how, you can change the title by editing the first post.

Board footer