You are not logged in.

#51 2008-12-12 05:37:17

Vipermaseg

Re: Goggles Music Manager

Hey! You could also make hotkeys or make it work with the gnome or kde hotkeys. That is cool for people like me, who has a fancy laptop keyboard.

Nice job.

#52 2008-12-12 15:30:13

GogglesGuy
Website

anrxc wrote:

Hi, as I'm now making the switch from amarok I installed goggles again. First to answer the earlier question about shoutcast, I would like a shoutcast item like "Internet Radio" which fetches the latest list when opened... and ofcourse plays a selected stream. Anyway, to more important things...

I see. At moment I don't know where such a list is available to download (some feed or xml file).

anrxc wrote:

I also noticed that opening an mp3 trough a browser or a file manager does nothing.

This is fixed, but not quite. I use a great script called edna (http://edna.sourceforge.net) on my file server, which generates playlists from directories that contain music and also creates links to download (or play) file by file selectively. If I click on download, an URL like this is generated: http://192.168.0.1:9000/Album/song.mp3 and if gmm is selected to open it, it plays fine. Playlists on the other hand do not, those m3u playlists contain entries like this url for every file in a given directory.
If I create a new "Internet Radio" station and provide the same link to a playlist then it plays fine, but only the first item.

For a internet radio station, the m3u usually contains different servers from which you can listen. So it's not really a playlist, but rather a list of alternative sources for the same stream.

I thought about importing m3u (playlists), meaning all listed tracks are imported into the database and a playlist is generated as well.  However this can only be done if the listed tracks are all in the local file system (no http or tfp). So I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do.

anrxc wrote:

It's not easy to reorder "Internet Radio" streams, so I came to the idea of custom genres and sorting by genre... then goggles segfaulted, with this in the system log:
gmm[26102]: segfault at 28 ip b7ed6f8a sp bfd4ecc0 error 4 in libFOX-1.6.so.0.0.34[b7cb7000+340000]

Sorting by any other method, number, station... works fine.

Thanks, I'll see if I can reproduce this bug.

anrxc wrote:

Is there any plan for podcast support? Again, item like "Internet Radio" which knows how to read xml "stations". I put up with numerous amarok bugs just because of it's solid podcast support, apparently there is no simple player that supports them; audacious, mpd clients... (could we still call them simple if they did? podcasts are such a common thing these days...)

Support for podcast does sound very interesting (though I've never listen to any).

anrxc wrote:

I definitly need to see what the Amarok guys have done with their equalizer. The one in Xine has a lot of issues

Eq can really make a difference on laptop speakers or headphones.

#53 2008-12-12 15:37:00

GogglesGuy
Website

Vipermaseg wrote:

Hey! You could also make hotkeys or make it work with the gnome or kde hotkeys. That is cool for people like me, who has a fancy laptop keyboard.

Nice job.

In the GNOME or KDE, you should be able to associate a command with a given key. Using the commandline options in GMM you can control a already running GMM. So you could simply associate the 'play' key with 'gmm --play'

GMM command line reference:
http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/wiki/CommandLine

#54 2008-12-13 07:34:04

Vipermaseg

Very good man, I have it working now with the hotkeys, but I still think that make it compatible with the gnome's hotkeys could be a great idea.

If you make it in this way, the hotkeys of all the programs in Gnome will be the same (use the same hotkeys for totem and GogglesMM, for example).

I think that is just a change in the name of the command that you gave me before (Oh!! I haven't said thanks yet!!! tongue) should be enougth to make it works... But I'm probably wrong...

Thanks for all... An sorry for my english ;P

Last edited by Vipermaseg (2008-12-13 07:35:08)

#55 2008-12-15 07:16:01

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Wow really nice player noticed theme does not hold [sorry if you already know!]

Mr Green

#56 2008-12-15 14:32:45

GogglesGuy
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Wow really nice player noticed theme does not hold [sorry if you already know!]

Thanks!
What do you mean exactly? It does not save the theme on shutdown?

#57 2008-12-15 15:26:21

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Seems to be working now .... was after first run will keep you posted

Mr Green

#58 2008-12-15 22:20:48

GogglesGuy
Website

anrxc wrote:

It's not easy to reorder "Internet Radio" streams, so I came to the idea of custom genres and sorting by genre... then goggles segfaulted, with this in the system log:
gmm[26102]: segfault at 28 ip b7ed6f8a sp bfd4ecc0 error 4 in libFOX-1.6.so.0.0.34[b7cb7000+340000]

Sorting by any other method, number, station... works fine.

Oops... yes that was severly broken. Thanks for the report. Next version will have the fix.

#59 2008-12-29 18:20:18

john_schaf

WOW !!! cool

Finally a player with library support that does not eat up all my cpu ressources !
It's almost as low on cpu as XMMS !

I will use that from now on. many thanks.

#60 2008-12-30 00:45:03

MoonSwan

I wanted to try your music player & I did load it up but it seems as if it doesn't play some formats?  For example, most of the URL's I use (I play mostly radio stuff from the net like digitalgunfire.com or gothville radio) are almost all in the ".pls" format.  So all the URL's I collect to feed to my music player had the PLS extension and so far it seems as if MOC and Goggles both will not play this format?  Or am I doing something wrong?

#61 2009-01-01 17:13:55

GogglesGuy
Website

MoonSwan wrote:

I wanted to try your music player & I did load it up but it seems as if it doesn't play some formats?  For example, most of the URL's I use (I play mostly radio stuff from the net like digitalgunfire.com or gothville radio) are almost all in the ".pls" format.  So all the URL's I collect to feed to my music player had the PLS extension and so far it seems as if MOC and Goggles both will not play this format?  Or am I doing something wrong?

That's actually a bug in GMM. I'll fix it  in the next release. Only the first entry of the PLS file is used, so when that host isn't available it will just give up.

I've just made the fix, and tried both stations, and they seems to work fine. Next release will hopefully be out sometime next week.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-01-01 21:58:32)

#62 2009-01-01 19:36:11

ToastedToad

This is a wonderful player/manager Goggles. You have done us all a great service. Thanks for the hard work and timely fixes. Didnt think I would ever find a lighter MM that I actually liked to use. Now I have.

Thanks again.

#63 2009-01-02 00:32:07

MoonSwan

You, my dear Sir Goggles, are an awesome person.  big_smile

Goggles being able to play these radio stations will allow me to ditch Moc and play more stations that I enjoy listening to while fragging or playing Go.  Yay!  Thank you very much.  smile

#64 2009-01-02 19:45:56

skualito

Hi
Great App !! I like it a lot.
Would it be possible to add a display by directory ?
skualito

#65 2009-01-04 00:03:22

GogglesGuy
Website

Thanks for trying gmm. I'm glad people like it.
Currently I don't have any plans to add "display by directory".

#66 2009-01-04 16:46:44

r6

Hi, thanks for the great player!

Could you make it so when I double-click on an album, it starts playing the album? Also when I double-click an artist, it starts playing the first song? This is the behaviour I'm used to with Rhythmbox.

#67 2009-01-04 18:21:05

GogglesGuy
Website

r6 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the great player!

Could you make it so when I double-click on an album, it starts playing the album? Also when I double-click an artist, it starts playing the first song? This is the behaviour I'm used to with Rhythmbox.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will be available in the next release.

#68 2009-01-07 12:35:26

kevin89
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I just found out about your music player, and it's totally awesome! Very nice work man, great contribution! smile

I have some suggestions though:
* Make it possible to browse by folder structure aswell
* When the player is in Mini Mode and the system tray is clicked, it restores it's full mode.. I think it should restore Mini Mode.Make it so that when pressed F11 again, the full mode restores.

edit: I also support the idea of making it compatible with GNOME hotkeys.

Last edited by kevin89 (2009-01-07 13:04:13)

#69 2009-01-07 13:18:45

test1000

Great app man, one think that would be cool to see is support for amarok plugins(i in particular have to have lyric support) or songbird plugins or whatever. If it was tied really well into the program that would be even better but if that would take too long to get implemented a rudimentary implementation would be cool aswell smile (or even your own plugin-type implementation!)

(also i really like that you're using the xine engine since it allows me to play those pesky mp4/m4a files wink)

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#70 2009-01-07 20:10:29

GogglesGuy
Website

kevin89 wrote:

I just found out about your music player, and it's totally awesome! Very nice work man, great contribution! smile

I have some suggestions though:
* Make it possible to browse by folder structure aswell

I assume with folder structure you mean in similar way amarok shows the artists/albums in a tree? I've played with that in the past and it's certainly do-able.

kevin89 wrote:

* When the player is in Mini Mode and the system tray is clicked, it restores it's full mode.. I think it should restore Mini Mode.Make it so that when pressed F11 again, the full mode restores.

Definitely. Consider it fixed in the upcoming release.

kevin89 wrote:

edit: I also support the idea of making it compatible with GNOME hotkeys.

I guess configurable key bindings are the way to go. That way everbody can just set it up the way they want it.

#71 2009-01-07 20:16:33

GogglesGuy
Website

test1000 wrote:

Great app man, one think that would be cool to see is support for amarok plugins(i in particular have to have lyric support) or songbird plugins or whatever. If it was tied really well into the program that would be even better but if that would take too long to get implemented a rudimentary implementation would be cool aswell smile (or even your own plugin-type implementation!)

(also i really like that you're using the xine engine since it allows me to play those pesky mp4/m4a files wink)

Not that I don't like the idea of plugins, but it seems a lot of work considering GMM still a one person project. One day perhaps. It's one of my wishlist items though. Patches/Ideas are always accepted!

#72 2009-01-07 21:02:03

skualito

Hmmm, I think my english is too bad. Reading further in this topic i saw a request for a "folder structure", and I guess it's what I meant by "display by directory". Not sure if it was clear or not.
Keep up the good work. MMG is now my default music application.

#73 2009-01-07 21:08:00

GogglesGuy
Website

skualito wrote:

Hmmm, I think my english is too bad. Reading further in this topic i saw a request for a "folder structure", and I guess it's what I meant by "display by directory". Not sure if it was clear or not.
Keep up the good work. MMG is now my default music application.

Just curious, why do you need to have the display by directory? Is that because the files don't have any proper tags and therefore mess up the album/artist categories? Or is it to avoid putting any files in the database at all?

#74 2009-01-07 22:28:53

kevin89
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

GogglesGuy; Good to see that you're active within this project! With folder structure I mean if this is my folder..

~/music/artist a
~/music/artist b

..Then the artist a and artist b folder will be showed. (not familiar with Amarok, that's why I used this example.)

Great thing you're implenting it next release! Nice work! smile

edit: I mainly want sort by folder structure because of broken tags.

Last edited by kevin89 (2009-01-07 22:29:25)

#75 2009-01-07 23:54:35

GogglesGuy
Website

kevin89 wrote:

GogglesGuy; Good to see that you're active within this project! With folder structure I mean if this is my folder..
edit: I mainly want sort by folder structure because of broken tags.

There's always the option to use the folder names for album and artist names (in case of empty or missing tags)
See the missing tags section here: http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/wiki/Import

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-01-07 23:55:01)

Board footer