You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-26 12:47:50

Berticus

Why brand?

I've always hated branding, but it seems a lot of people like it, so I'm curious about why they like it so much. Like you see branding, literally, everywhere! When you look at people's computer, it'll have a sticker with Intel or AMD. PC's and notebooks installed with Windows will have a Windows sticker. Heck, when you order components, they give you stickers to put on your rig. I've got a few Enermax, Antec, AMD, EVGA and probably even a Corsair sticker in my box filled with random PC stuff. You see menu buttons, wallpapers and display managers boasting what's under the hood whether it's Arch, Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu, Windows or just Linux in general. You even see branding happening to things that have nothing to do with companies. For example, my ex-roommate has an electric guitar, and he's got an apple sticker on it. Last time I checked, apple didn't make guitars... If anything, I'd have a Fender sticker on it, but as I said earlier, I hate branding, so I'd really leave it alone.

Personally, I think branding looks ugly.

#2 2008-06-26 13:33:29

tlaloc

Re: Why brand?

It is a symbolic construction of communities (each community is a symbolic construction).
And no, it is not superfluous - if I take off the "designed for XP" sticker from my laptop (or my guitar) and replace that with something else, I am making kind of a statement - where I belong to. I agree that is it somewhat silly, but hey - this sense of belonging is important! That is why we have a great wiki, good forums, TUs, and patches on the MLs.

#3 2008-06-26 13:58:10

sniffles

Personally I don't want to have anything to do with branding. I don't need to show anyone what operating system I run and I don't need to make any statements. Hardly anyone except me ever actually sees my computers and/or takes a look at what my monitors are displaying anyway. And I don't need no "Arch Linux" desktop background either.

#4 2008-06-26 15:13:07

dyscoria

I should get paid by Logitech for advertising their stuff. From where i'm sitting now I can see their logo 7 times big_smile

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#5 2008-06-26 15:26:32

JeremyTheWicked

I think tlaloc hit the nail right on the head - it's the sense of belonging people are looking for. We're social animals after all - it's important to most people to know where they belong.

I, for one, don't need to brag about the things I use with huge bumper-stickers, schwag or whatever but I like my Archlinux GDM theme wink

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#6 2008-06-26 15:55:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

JeremyTheWicked wrote:

I, for one, don't need to brag about the things I use with huge bumper-stickers, schwag

Schwag isn't just advertising; its support... monetary feedback, but unlike a donation you get something you can use. :-)

Dusty

#7 2008-06-26 18:10:43

JeremyTheWicked

@Dusty: sure, you're right about that. I didn't mean to undermine your enterprise wink

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#8 2008-06-26 18:30:30

emphire

I think sometimes it's to stand-out rather than to belong to a group too.  I've seen people at work put-up linux penguins everywhere in our Windows-only environment.
I think sometimes it's to project an image too.  Hmmm... My girlfriend used to have a play-boy bunny on her guitar...

#9 2008-06-26 18:45:11

Berticus

emphire wrote:

Hmmm... My girlfriend used to have a play-boy bunny on her guitar...

Because she was in part of the playboy community or she's got a playboy image wink

jk

#10 2008-06-26 19:01:24

sniffles

Maybe she just liked the magazine smile

#11 2008-06-26 20:30:35

iBertus

Speeking of which, does anyone know where to get a spiffy Arch case sticker for my laptop? All the schwag site has is round stickers like you put on a book or unsuspecting bullitin board.

#12 2008-06-26 20:58:09

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

I brand because it makes me feel cool.

This post brought to you by Microsoft Windows, Arch Linux, Canada Dry Ginger Ale, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboards, PunBB, and Phrakture.

#13 2008-06-26 21:29:55

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

iBertus wrote:

Speeking of which, does anyone know where to get a spiffy Arch case sticker for my laptop? All the schwag site has is round stickers like you put on a book or unsuspecting bullitin board.

This question comes up a lot. Zazzle has no support for case badge style stickers aside from the round stickers you saw and these: http://www.zazzle.com/archlinux/product … 8394303693 (both of which you can cut with scissors into the case badge shape.

There has been so much interest in custom case badges though, that I'm thinking of reinvesting some of the schwag profits into some custom metalic and/or domed badges and I would mail them out to users themselves. They'd probably be about $3 + shipping (from Canada to wherever you are).

Dusty

#14 2008-06-26 22:29:12

faelar
Website

Branding is fun for many people, it proves your ability to find new stickers wink
For companies, it's an easy way to do advertising.
I removed as many branding logos from my computer as I can, and I'm still feeling bad 'cause I cannot get ride of the serial number under my laptop...
What I have done is sticking little kitten (LU powered) on every window at school.
Conclusion, sticking is fun, but doing like anyone else is not !

I don't need to show anyone what operating system I run and I don't need to make any statements. Hardly anyone except me ever actually sees my computers and/or takes a look at what my monitors are displaying anyway. And I don't need no "Arch Linux" desktop background either.

To many people asked me what was running on my computer. Arch logo is great, so I made a nice wallpaper which fills my tastes and answer for me wink

#15 2008-06-26 22:49:16

Berticus

Well I see the commercial aspect of branding. But why would you do it was my question. I suppose the community thing would make some sense... The only problem is nobody else really sees it... Once in a while you may have a passerby who is in the same community and exclaims, "oh you have one too?!"

sniffles wrote:

Maybe she just liked the magazine smile

Not quite as fun for us...  Unless she was in a playboy mag enjoying her playboy mag big_smile

#16 2008-06-27 00:58:25

peets
Website

Here's an unverified observation based on personal experience: seeing mentions of something all over the place increase one's chances of trying that thing. Of course some dialectic effects are bound to occur in the extremes... I initially tried Mozilla because I kept on reading about it on the internet; it was the first free software that I consciously used. Passive advertising of a product/thing I think is great is not a bad thing.

#17 2008-06-27 01:12:56

heleos

To display opinions... or sweet hardware tongue

#18 2008-06-27 04:14:11

peets
Website

st_bumper.jpg

#19 2008-06-27 13:41:54

Berticus

heleos wrote:

To display opinions... or sweet hardware tongue

lol Yeah, but sweet hardware doesn't usually last long..  Within a few months, top of the line become midrange for CPU's and GPU's. PSU's, RAM and mobo on the other hand, keep them for a year and it'll still be sweet.

#20 2008-07-02 11:20:46

funkyou
Website

I think the KDE people are doing it right in terms of branding...

- In KDE4, they have a sexy default setup (the "oldschool look" of KDE3 was the only reason for us to create a completely new theme and new app defaults for KDEmod)
- Their stuff supports branding directly, so no hacks needed. Just add your picture and you are ready to go... Its still in its beginnings, but it already shows the potential (tm)

All in all, i like branding. But it shouldnt be uglier than the default wink

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#21 2008-07-05 12:47:43

droog

I never used to brand my stuff but since i put arch stickers and posters over everything i noticed all the ladies have alot more interest.

#22 2009-01-04 05:21:35

arch_nemesis

I konw I'm dredging up an old thread, but it was referenced elsewhere...  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 62#p474362

With most things I really don't get into branding.  There are no stickers or other markings on my vehicle or anything else I own proclaiming that I bought merchandise from whatever company.  All the stickers on my laptop that said AMD and etc are gone (and were gone 30 mins after I brought it home). 

But I tend to be excited about whatever distro I'm running -- or I'm not running it.  For this reason alone I'm happy to have the Arch logo on my menu button and wallpaper - not as a reminder to me of course, but as one outlet for my enthusiasm.  Stylistically it can provide a certain common element to several components of your system.  My GDM uses the same colors and background as my desktop, and it gives a consistent feel.

And also, because I AM excited about Arch, I love to talk about it or would love to be the one who turns someone else on to it.  Anyone who chances to use my  computer knows immediately what to ask me about if they like it. (and hopefully my build is never in such bad shape that I'd drive someone away from Arch... smile)

I can see why people may choose not to use branding, and I have many wallpapers that I love that don't have anyone's logo on them.  I get as annoyed as anyone that 75% of the wallpapers at Gnome-Look have the Ubuntu logo on them. (But I wish more of them had the Arch Logo. wink)  I just tend to gravitate towards finding something I like that also has a logo for the distro I'm using, and where the logo doesn't detract from whatever it's on.

Last edited by arch_nemesis (2009-01-04 05:25:25)

#23 2009-01-04 05:58:16

skottish
Forum Fellow

arch_nemesis, looks like you get the last one in.

Board footer