You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-11 06:07:05

rehcra
Website

Mozilla nullplugin

There is one annoying plugin shipped with mozilla - libnullplugin.so. It keeps asking you to download a plugin whenever you don't have it installed. It's really annoying, because mozilla actually doesn't know how to install it properly on arch linux---that is, using pacman. And I really can live without closed source flash plugin.

Could it be simply deleted from the package?
A good idea would be to develop our own version which would use pacman and be able to shut up.

http://pdfinglis.tripod.com/widget.html
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
                                 -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#2 2004-10-11 06:37:15

tehdely
Website

Re: Mozilla nullplugin

The purpose of libnullplugin.so is to stand in for plugins you don't have installed.  I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want it around, especially given that it's installed by default so there's really no effort involved in using it tongue

You should install the flash plugin the way you're supposed to in Arch...
pacman -S flashplugin

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#3 2004-10-11 07:31:54

rehcra
Website

I don't want flash plugin because it's closed source.

More importantly, it seems to cause firefox to slowdown (at leasy on my pc). That's a bug (firefox'es or flash'es). When I start firefox, it works blazingly fast. But after I open a few pages with flash content, firefox slows down so much that it becomes unusable.

PLEASE, I REALLY DON'T WANT TO INSTALL FLASH PLUGIN (OR JAVA)

Archlinux forces me to install some packages I don't really want.

MOZILLA KEEPS NAGGING ME TO INSTALL PLUGINS
This is because libnullplugin is really broken. This should be fixed in mozilla.

But in the meantime I think it would be good just to delete this file from the package. Everything is going to work right, just mozilla will not nag you. If you want to view flash, just install it - you don't need this annoying popup.

I'd be really surprised if nobody agrees with me.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
                                 -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#4 2004-10-11 08:33:59

zeppelin
Website

there is a mozilla extension that will stop bugging you for Flash [maybe JAVA too].

now the idea of totally removing it, I'm not sure.
ok pacman -S flash-plugin j2re will make those 2 work.
but what about OTHER PLUGINS?

#5 2004-10-11 11:07:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

rehcra wrote:

I don't want flash plugin because it's closed source.

More importantly, it seems to cause firefox to slowdown (at leasy on my pc). That's a bug (firefox'es or flash'es). When I start firefox, it works blazingly fast. But after I open a few pages with flash content, firefox slows down so much that it becomes unusable.

PLEASE, I REALLY DON'T WANT TO INSTALL FLASH PLUGIN (OR JAVA)

Archlinux forces me to install some packages I don't really want.

MOZILLA KEEPS NAGGING ME TO INSTALL PLUGINS
This is because libnullplugin is really broken. This should be fixed in mozilla.

But in the meantime I think it would be good just to delete this file from the package. Everything is going to work right, just mozilla will not nag you. If you want to view flash, just install it - you don't need this annoying popup.

I'd be really surprised if nobody agrees with me.

Then dont install them!!

nullplugin is required, simply so that Mozilla has somethign to placehold when the plugin isnt installed.

Besides, ive never found this irritating.

#6 2004-10-11 12:50:01

rehcra
Website

iphitus wrote:

nullplugin is required, simply so that Mozilla has somethign to placehold when the plugin isnt installed.

Besides, ive never found this irritating.

It isn't required. Mozilla works perfectly without it - it just doesn't show the dialog box.

It is irritating when you have to click "Cancel" 20 times, because Mozilla calls libnullplugin each time a plugin is missing.

There could be a checkbox "don't show this again".

And I thing it's closer to Archlinux philosophy not to show such dialogs.

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#7 2004-10-11 12:59:01

rehcra
Website

tehdely wrote:

The purpose of libnullplugin.so is to stand in for plugins you don't have installed.

Aren't I right that the sole purpose of libnullplugin.so is just to show this stupid, ugly, unnecessary dialog?

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want it around, especially given that it's installed by default so there's really no effort involved in using it tongue

No effort? LoL. No effort provided you do what it asks you to do - install the plugins. :x But I don't want to install the plugins => lots of effort in fighting with the dialog box. Period.

You should install the flash plugin the way you're supposed to in Arch... pacman -S flashplugin

I'm only asking to remove the dialog box which asks me to do it the other way - without pacman.

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#8 2004-10-11 13:14:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Oi! Don't blame this on arch!

This thing is part of firefox so stop b*tching and blaming arch, when it will happen on any distro, mandrake, debian, even windows, happens there too.

Go complain to the developers of Firefox.

#9 2004-10-11 13:37:56

rehcra
Website

iphitus wrote:

Oi! Don't blame this on arch!
(...)
Go complain to the developers of Firefox.

I don't blame Arch!
I just kindly suggest that the package could be modified so that it's better than its equivalent on Mandrake, etc.

I could go complaining to Mozilla guys (plain Mozilla, not Firefox - this is what I prefer), but I don't think they take bug reports seriously (and I think they just install plugins as their lizard requests). And it's too much effort - I'd rather delete the file myself, but isn't it just as easy to do this in PKGBUILD?

Please, tell me what do you loose by deleting this file?

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#10 2004-10-11 13:44:33

rehcra
Website

I just wonder if this community is friendly or hostile? There's no one who would agree with me that this dialog is bad. Everybody seems to miss my point - if something is unneccessary and annoing, why not get rid of it?

I'd like to hear somebody who prefers not to install flash and java, as I do.
Others just don't care and don't know what I'm talking about.
I wonder why the hell you reply to this post if you use closed-source plugins? This discussion is irrelevant to you.

Please, moderators! Stop the trolls!

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#11 2004-10-11 13:47:14

rehcra
Website

I wrote:

A good idea would be to develop our own version which would use pacman and be able to shut up.

Perhaps you missed this sentence. I'm trying to be constructive. Why all of you are destructive? Your posts don't help anybody!

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#12 2004-10-11 13:56:51

rehcra
Website

Sorry I missed this post:

zeppelin wrote:

there is a mozilla extension that will stop bugging you for Flash [maybe JAVA too].

now the idea of totally removing it, I'm not sure.
ok pacman -S flash-plugin j2re will make those 2 work.

Perhaps this is the only one that is worth reading (besides mine).

zeppelin wrote:

Could you tell something more about it? Has it any advantages over just deleting libnullplugin.so?

What do you mean?

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#13 2004-10-11 14:42:25

freakyc

Well, not sure what everyone is freaking out about.  Do any of you actually use those plugin popups?  I don't, I've always used pacman to install java and flash.

About the only thing any of you have said that is an argument is what about other plugins.  Is there any plugins anyone uses besides those two that firefox actually installs automatically?

If his suggestion bothers you that much, then come up with a better excuse.

#14 2004-10-11 16:37:16

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Demanding that it be removed from the package because *you* don't want it is kind of excessive. What if some people do want it?  Arch does intend to install minimally, but in this case, the plugin is installed with the package, and if it does work without it installed, do feel free to remove it on your system. This is the kind of freedom of choice the users like to have. If we removed it, people wouldn't have the option of choosing between installing it and not installing it.

Dusty

#15 2004-10-11 17:02:30

soniX

I agree with you that it is annoying.
I agree with you that we shouldnt be forced to use close source plugins
I agree with you that there should be a "do not bug me again" option in mozilla*

If it is as simple as tweaking the PKGBUILD... DO IT... and post the "enhanced mozilla" PKBUILD in the forum, and everyone is happy...
or write a little note in the wiki on how to remove the annoying stuff from mozilla*

#16 2004-10-11 17:07:24

aCoder
Website

Well, this default plugin crap is sort of archaic.  All it does is advertise for Sun, Macromedia, and others, like Real, as well.  It doesn't attempt to point you in the direction of free plugins or anything.  I find the whole thing quite troubling, and, all in all, not a bad thing to remove by default.  However, it's not something that I think warrants a new version of the pkg just because a few people don't care for it.  It may be something to think about when a new version of the pkg is released anyway.  Another issue this brings up is multiple occurances of libnullplugin.so.  Maybe this could be limited to mozilla-common so that if you don't want it at all, you at least don't have to remove one for every mozilla-based app you have.  Of course, nothing's really necessary here, so I have no problem just getting rid of it every time I update the affected pkgs.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#17 2004-10-12 00:57:09

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Actually, in 0.10 it works really well, it asked if i wanted the plugin for flash, it downloaded it and it worked.

Anyway to remove it:
open ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
remove these lines:

/opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox-0.10.1/plugins/libnullplugin.so:$
:$
1096853946000:1:5:$
The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are no$Default Plugin:$
0:*:All types:.*:$

Your firefox config may be located elsewhere, such as, ~/.firefox - either way, open pluginreg.dat and remove the appropriate lines.

Board footer