You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-04 19:19:14

hbarnwheeler

GTK theme errors [SOLVED, SORT OF]

I'm trying to install/use some themes from gnome-look.org but am having difficulty.  Whether I use the theme utility from gnome or gtk-chtheme, the themes I download don't work.  When I select them, certain aspects change (fonts,  colors of menu items when the mouse hovers over them, etc) but most aspects of the theme do not get applied.  When trying this theme (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … tent=91250), for instance, I get the following errors:

/home/j/.themes/TheGreyhoundTheme_v0.7/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:112: error: unexpected identifier `colorize_scrollbar', expected character `}'

Line 112 of gtkrc reads:

colorize_scrollbar  = TRUE  # FALSE = disabled, TRUE = enabled

Note: I get this same error with other themes I download from gnome-look.  Is the problem that they are using attributes not supported by the version of gtk or some other gtk-related package that I have?  If so, which one?  My system is completely up to date with all stable packages.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by hbarnwheeler (2009-01-04 19:44:25)

#2 2009-01-04 19:23:21

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: GTK theme errors [SOLVED, SORT OF]

hbarnwheeler wrote:

I'm trying to install/use some themes from gnome-look.org but am having difficulty.  Whether I use the theme utility from gnome or gtk-chtheme, the themes I download don't work.  When I select them, certain aspects change (fonts,  colors of menu items when the mouse hovers over them, etc) but most aspects of the theme do not get applied.  When trying this theme (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … tent=91250), for instance, I get the following errors:

/home/j/.themes/TheGreyhoundTheme_v0.7/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:112: error: unexpected identifier `colorize_scrollbar', expected character `}'

Line 112 of gtkrc reads:

colorize_scrollbar  = TRUE  # FALSE = disabled, TRUE = enabled

Note: I get this same error with other themes I download from gnome-look.  Is the problem that they are using attributes not supported by the version of gtk or some other gtk-related package that I have?  If so, which one?  My system is completely up to date with all stable packages.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I don't know if this is your problem, but themes require theme engines. Often authors of the themes forget to mention which theme engines are used, or have forgotten that they are using aspects of some engines.

#3 2009-01-04 19:27:35

hbarnwheeler

Thanks for the reply.  Originally the gnome theme application was giving me errors about the murrine engine, which I have since installed.  I no longer get this error.

#4 2009-01-04 19:45:39

hbarnwheeler

It appears that the calls to colorize_scrollbar (and some other subsequent identifiers) are not supported in the current version of the murrine engine in the repos.  Commenting out these identifier calls soved the issue.  I will look into installing the latest murrine engine.

Last edited by hbarnwheeler (2009-01-04 19:46:19)

Board footer