You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-05 11:40:19

manueleberl

Printer sharing via Samba doesn't work

Hello,
I'm running samba in "shared" security mode with the following printers section in smb.conf:

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
public = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 0700

I'm using this to share a Samsung CLP-300 printer with Samsung's Unified Linux Driver, which I downloaded from Samsung's website. Now in Windows I can find this printer and it is displayed as "Ready". But when I try to print something, it just doesn't work. Notepad complains that the page is too small to print anything on it, all the other programmes I tried just crash. When I took a look at the printer settings I noticed that the list box with all the available page formats is empty. Could that be the problem? And how do I solve it?

#2 2009-01-05 11:48:50

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Printer sharing via Samba doesn't work

i used to share my printer using avahi, no samba. it is easy to do that when you have linux->linux but it is easy to do what in windows too.
here is a link: http://blog.venthur.de/2007/08/17/howto … -zeroconf/

i found that the pcl and generic driver hasn't been working well as is said in that post but i click on have disk and load .inf from my cd

Last edited by wonder (2009-01-05 11:49:40)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2009-01-05 12:27:43

manueleberl

Re: Printer sharing via Samba doesn't work

This Bonjour thing doesn't seem to work, but I've found another way. I read the CUPS article on the wiki again and found the http://printserver:631/printers/douglas line again, which I had tried the last time, but I entered it in the wrong text box in the Windows printer dialogue, so now I did it again correctly and it works. Thank you anyway.

Board footer