You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-05 08:37:26

yvonney

Moved HD - NEED to remove calls to ATA2 'device not ready'-SRST failed

Hi...

ATA2 Device not ready (ERRNO=-16)
SRST Failed  link slow to respond.

NOTE: the drive is operationally fine.

I've got an old Dell 2500 laptop. The CDRom died so I pulled out the drive, did FTP install with the Atch FTP install CD on another PC and put the drive back in the laptop.

This worked fine about 9 months ago though I did the current install about 2 or so months ago and it's REALLY wanting to find the ATA2 device. Some recent kernel changes or something probably, I'm guesings.

I've turned OFF the secondary IDE in the bios and also tried it with it on, which it doesn't like at all.

Anyways.... there's a way to REMOVE whatever the laptop and arch think is at ATA2 which will stop me getting the following error 6 or so times before it finally fails and then continues to boot.

AGAIN: I did this about 9 months ago and didn't have the problem with the following message:

not a big deal, works fine otherwise.... I'd LOVE to remove from the install whatever's causing this though as it's a LONG boot time! :---) I've done the usual 30 minute google attempts to find info on how to ... no luck so far.

thank you.

This is sorta what I get upon boot...

ATA2 Device not ready (ERRNO=-16)
SRST Failed  link slow to respond.

-------------

I'm running with only the primary turned on in the bios as it likes that well enough EXCEPT for getting the error message about 6 times for about 3 minutes.

The cdrom is totally dead on the secondary in the laptop though I used a cdrom on the pc I used to install to the drive of course.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-01-05 08:39:26)

#2 2009-01-05 12:11:50

Spider.007

Re: Moved HD - NEED to remove calls to ATA2 'device not ready'-SRST failed

Is the kernel throwing these messages? Can't you compile a custom kernel without support for the dead channel; or will that disable your working hard-drive as well?

#3 2009-01-05 20:57:12

yvonney

Re: Moved HD - NEED to remove calls to ATA2 'device not ready'-SRST failed

INTERESTING !! thank you. I believe the answer is YES. as it happens during the end of the first half of the boot info pages. ie. before stuff starts loading. Sorry I'm not skilled enough yet to explain exactly.

So it DID appear to be more than just deleting a few lines from a few files.... from what I read on google searches.

That said... I'm still in the dark as to what to do...

um, can i? delete some stuff to have it forget about ata2 ?

Board footer