You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-05 02:03:58

bwh1969

how do I create a repo on a local folder

I use FaunOS which is a live version of Arch.  The build is somewhat outdated but at any rate,

Sometimes I need to install or upgrade a package for a session, but do not necessarily need to save it in the squashfs overlay.

i copied the files out of /var/cache/pacman/pkg into a local folder.  I can do something like

pacman -U /path/file/*

but this is kind of ugly, as I have to make sure I clean the cache between installing different apps and copying them to an appropriately named folder so I don't end up installing a whole bunch of things I don't need, hence taking up the live memory.

I know there is a way to do call pacman o install a file and just its dependencies from a local folder by somehow telling it that the folder is a repo, but I forget how, and posting to the FaunOS forums has been down for some time.

#2 2009-01-05 02:10:09

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: how do I create a repo on a local folder

Reading /etc/pacman.conf explains you 100% how wink.

Good luck with it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-01-05 02:57:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

My system uses ....pacman --cachedir /mnt/md/upgrade....

I have a raid0 array of three Compact Flash cards which have combined read speed of 133MB/s and 22MB storage space.  These are combined and accessed in /mnt/md (using mdadm soft raid).

This system is in use in FaunOS and in x86_64 on the same machine.

In addition to the pacman files, I also have pix and video files and some seldom used folders with pacman packages which include depends and are addressed when needed.

The key to the arrangement is the ...--cachedir.. as provided by pacman.  The files are .pkg.tar.gz and are installed with pacman -U (package .tar.gz)

In FaunOS, this installs the package in ram via aufs but does not retain the package in reboot unless "save" is enabled.

I have had this system for four or more months now and use it a lot.

I hope this info is helpful................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2009-01-05 03:12:48

Allan
Pacman
Website

#5 2009-01-06 01:03:06

lilsirecho
Veteran

The form for using a directory such as --cachedir would be best applied using the following to download into the cache without installing...thus a repository is formed...

..... pacman  --cachedir /mnt/md/upgrade -Syw [package name]........

This does not install because the "w" is included in the command.

Then to install at your discretion:

.........pacman -U /mnt/md/upgrade [package.tar.gz].......

This example refers to my arrangement of the repo in /mnt/md but yours can be  a different setup.

Allan has suggested an alternate method of setting up a local repo.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer