You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-05 06:20:33

elsaturnino

brother mfc-240c scanner not working [SOLVED]

I've been trying to set up my brother mfc-240c printer/scanner following the directions on the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Brother_MFC-420CN

The printer setup went off without a hitch but I have had no luck with my scanner. After following the instructions, i run sane-find-scanner and it comes up with the following:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x01ab) at libusb:001:005

However, when i run "scanimage -L", it says that no scanners were identified. I've rebooted, hoping that would magically help but no such luck.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try next?

Regards,
Sat

Last edited by elsaturnino (2009-01-06 04:55:31)

#2 2009-01-05 16:28:44

gun26

Re: brother mfc-240c scanner not working [SOLVED]

Does it work if you run scanimage -L as root or with sudo?
Take a look at the output of dmesg after you've tried running scanimage -L, it may tell you something useful.

In my own case I have an Epson RX500 all-in-one with a built-in flash card reader, and I had a similar symptom: sane-find-scanner worked and scanimage -L didn't (either for my regular user name or root.)

dmesg showed me this:

usb 8-4: usbfs: interface 2 claimed by usb-storage while 'scanimage' sets config #1

So it looked like the usb storage driver for the flash card reader was claiming the whole scanner. As a brute-force solution I did a rmmod usb-storage, after which scanimage - and xsane and all other frontends - worked.

In the past, usb storage and scanning used to coexist - no idea what's changed to break it. For now I'll continue rmmod usb-storage whenever I need the scanner, which isn't too often. There's probably a more elegant solution involving udev rules or something.

#3 2009-01-05 17:11:20

elsaturnino

scanimage -L doesn't work as user or as root.

I powered up my all-in-one and this is what dmesg says:

usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x01AB
scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Brother  MFC-240C         1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

Somewhat odd that it is recognized as a SCSI removable disk but I think this is normal for all Brother MFC units.

After running scanimage -L, this is what dmesg shows me:

ppdev0: registered pardevice
ppdev0: unregistered pardevice

I'm not sure if that tells me anything useful.

Any other suggestions?

#4 2009-01-05 18:18:35

gun26

That message seems to relate to a parallel port, not usb. Strange. What sane backend is being used for the Brother? If you added a backend supplied separately from sane itself, did you or the installer add the name of the backend to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf?

#5 2009-01-05 18:31:24

elsaturnino

I had to use one provided by Brother. There was a script to add it to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf automatically and I confirmed that it did indeed get added. The directions I followed said that the line in dll.conf could read "brother2" but mine was "brother" so I also added "brother2" to see if that was the problem. Still didn't make a difference though.

#6 2009-01-05 18:43:53

archlinuxsagi

mmm. I have brother dcp 130c.
I build br2scan from AUR, add myself to scanner group and add the udev rule based on /etc/udev/rules.d/53-sane.rules to resolve the root only access issue.

#7 2009-01-05 22:44:47

gun26

If the backend is called brother, then that should be the only entry you need in dll.conf. But it does sound like the backend has gone missing in action somehow. I assume that in /usr/lib/sane you have the brother backend files in the form libsane-brother.a and libsane-brother.so*, right?  In /etc/sane.d you should also have a brother.conf with an uncommented line that says usb.  Possibly they may have put the device ID for their scanner on the line as well - if they did, check with lsusb to make sure it matches your scanner. I think in most cases a line that says just usb is enough.

#8 2009-01-06 04:55:12

elsaturnino

gun26: all the so files were there but brother.conf was missing so i tried creating the file with a single line reading "usb". That didn't work so I tried adding in the vendor and product id that lsusb gave me but still nothing.

I did follow archlinuxsagi's advice and use built the drivers from AUR and BOOM it showed up when i did scanimage -L. After a bit of frustration in trying to figure out how to get GIMP setup to use my scanner (hint: make sure xsane and sane-frontends are installed), I tested it out and it is working beautifully.

Thanks for your help gun26, and thanks for the winning tip archlinuxsagi.

Board footer