You are not logged in.

#26 2008-11-03 18:32:01

motheaten

Re: mpd: Advantages over other players as single user

hack.augusto wrote:
0x001A4 wrote:

That's the main reason I liked MPD so much while I was using it. I could shut down the computer while it was playing, then when I turn my computer back on, the music starts playing as soon as mpd starts.

The only reason I prefer amarok over mpd is because if I added a song to my filesystem I would have to update the database for mpd to find and play it. I like just browsing files and dragging them into a playlist, which you can't (or couldn't while I was using it) do with mpd.

music on console(moc) plays music straight from hd, give it a try it's like mpd without a database

Thanks for the recommendation, I installed it a few days ago and I really like it as a substitute (at least until Amarok2 is final), at the moment I got quite some new music which I just want to listen through folder by folder without the need to add them to a database/my collection, so mocp is really great at the moment. I especially like, that you can quit it and it still keeps playing, very nice.

#27 2008-11-03 18:51:50

ST.x
Website

kclive18 wrote:

MPD + ncmpc++ is the sweet spot for me.  Sonata is a great GUI-based client if you're not too fond of terminal stuff.  I used to use ncmpc but ncmpc++ organizes your music by artist and album, making it really convenient to use; I tend to listen to entire albums rather than songs.

Yes +1

#28 2009-01-06 09:38:14

xelados
Website

whargoul wrote:

Uhm, I might be hated by this - but because it reminds me of Foobar2000.

No reason to hate you for that at all. foobar's easily the best Windows music player. A hacker's playground as far as media apps go.

#29 2009-01-06 21:12:21

ogronom

There are none, except this one: you like mpd smile

Generally there are 2.5  reasons for using mpd (except the written above)

0.5. You have low resource machine or small amount of free megabytes on your HD (which is quite rear these days). mpd+ncmpc(++) will help, but probably the different ncurses player will be better.

1. You need to listen to the music even if you X-server crushes. Also rear, but still some of my friends are using mpd only because of this.

2. You want a pleasnt control from a diiferent machine, basically you have a music server.

#30 2009-01-06 21:43:49

brisbin33
Website

i use amarok 99% of the time.  i do this because:

i have 50,000+ songs and the MySQL database works amazingly well for this
my collection dynamically updates when i add music
i have the resources to spare
i just love amarok smile

i use mpd+icecast+ssh tunnelling+ncmpc to listen to my collection from work.

music playing even when X crashes, extremely low resources, and various types of streaming sound like the big three reasons to use mpd.  if i had an unstable machine and/or alot less resources i'd for sure go that route.

Board footer