You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-06 09:47:24

B-Con
Website

Disabling kernel processes

I just installed Arch fresh on my new laptop. Since I came to Arch just over a year ago, I'd only done two installations, both at the same time. So now I'm comparing my new install against my old one.

One thing I noticed is that there are different kernel-spawned processes running. My old install (desktop) has kgameport, whereas my new install (laptop) does not. My new install also has a usb-storage daemon running, whereas my old install does not (both have the usb_storage module loaded). Also, my new install has scsi_eh_4 through 6, whereas my old install stopped at 3 (and my old install has more hard disks connected, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to the number of active disks).

a) I would like to learn about these processes, what they do
b) Most importantly, how can I disable/enable them? (If nothing else, running practically identical installs on two machines and having an unaccountable difference in process counts in conky is irritating. tongue )

Some of the kernel processes seem to be related to kernel modules that are also loaded, but I can have the same module (such as usb_storage) loaded on both machines and have one with the daemon and one without, which seems odd to me.

#2 2009-01-06 15:05:02

iBertus

Re: Disabling kernel processes

If the hardware on both machines isn't the same then you'll probably never get the processes to match. Have you tried compiling your own kernel without some of the stuff you don't want?

#3 2009-01-06 22:34:18

B-Con
Website

I realize that the process list won't match perfectly, but I'd like them to match as reasonably close as possible. I haven't tried rolling my own kernel yet, that seemed far more complicated than just disabling a few threads/services.

#4 2009-01-07 00:46:24

quetzyg

B-Con wrote:

I realize that the process list won't match perfectly, but I'd like them to match as reasonably close as possible.

Why do you want matching process lists? Do they have to be sorted in any specific order?
And when you accomplish that, what will be next? Matching PID's?

Sorry, but I don't get it...

ZzZz...

#5 2009-01-07 01:40:01

iBertus

Compiling a custom kernel is pretty easy if you follow the wiki  pages and the many threads on the forum. Give it a try if you have the time.

#6 2009-01-07 04:34:44

archlinuxsagi

I believe it is udev related.. since arch by default uses udev. u can block the modules to make it the same..

#7 2009-01-07 04:45:07

B-Con
Website

quetzyg wrote:
B-Con wrote:

I realize that the process list won't match perfectly, but I'd like them to match as reasonably close as possible.

Why do you want matching process lists? Do they have to be sorted in any specific order?
And when you accomplish that, what will be next? Matching PID's?

Sorry, but I don't get it...

I've installed practically identical systems on two separate machines, with practically identical setups. I'm just curious why on one of them the kernel decides to run certain threads, but on the other the kernel does not. Mainly I want to learn why those processes are running, and from there I can decide what to do. If I think the process is (un)necessary, I'd like to manually enable/disable it on both machines.

It looks like the kgameport process is connected to the gameport module, which is required by a sound module on my Desktop, but not my laptop, so I suppose the question is answered to a satisfiable extent.

Board footer