You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-07 13:54:31

dcrabs

rdiff-backup question

Hi everyone
I started using rdiff-backup and want to backup my home directory, etc and boot.
Unfortunately I forgot to exclude usr in the first run. Now the problem is that I don't know how to remove it from the backup. I tried to delete usr in my backup but on the next run even with exclude usr it is copied again. The rdiff-website or manpage don't mention this problem. Does anyone have an idea how to do that?
Thanks, dcrabs

#2 2009-01-07 21:45:44

firecat53
Website

Re: rdiff-backup question

I use the following file for the --include-globbing-filelist option:  ~/scripts/rdiff-backup-includes

- /home/firecat53/pictures
- /home/firecat53/.mozilla/**/Cache
- /home/firecat53/.thumbnails
- /home/firecat53/music
- /home/firecat53/ISOs
- /home/firecat53/.google/picasa/3.0/**/db3
- /home/firecat53/.VirtualBox/**/Snapshots
- /home/firecat53/**cache
- /home/firecat53/**Cache
/home
/usr/local
/etc
- /

Then I used this command to perform the backup: (only use --force the first time)

sudo rdiff-backup --force --include-globbing-filelist scripts/rdiff-backup-includes / homeserver::/mnt/backup2/scotty

You will probably have to delete the rdiff-backup-data directory -- hopefully you don't have a lot of increments you're worried about right now. It will get recreated with the --force option, but you will lose any incremental backups you had. Try deleting that usr directory from your backup and run it again, making sure your includes are done correctly.

I'm pretty new w/ rdiff-backup too, so I hope I don't lead you astray!

Good luck!
Scott

Board footer