You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-11 06:10:08

tony

/etc/rc.d/alsamixer missing

After I have done all the steps that were descriped at Wiki about how to setup alsa one important thing or better to say file is missing /etc/rc.d/alsamixer  :cry:  I have to say that I have search everywhere and the only similar thing is in /usr/bin. Another question after I have installed  gnome actually pacman did   lol  I dont know how to put it to kdm that I would be able to choose which desktop I want to start ( later I would like to add enlightment etc.) Finally but not the last question I am not able to create new device as user I mean dvdrom or cdrw. During installation I have used useradd according to your manual.  Please help  :cry:  Thank you

#2 2004-10-11 16:46:32

Win

Re: /etc/rc.d/alsamixer missing

Hi Tony.

You can find the code and general setup for ALSA in the Arch Linux Wiki. Perhaps you read a different, less specific Wiki page. The following ALSA setup Wiki page is quite specific and also gives code for /etc/rc.d/alsamixer:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa%20setup

Regards,

Win

#3 2004-10-11 16:54:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

its a big wiki page, you might have missed specifically this section:

2 Save the following file to '/etc/rc.d/alsamixer'

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

case "$1" in
    start)
      stat_busy "Restoring Alsa mixer volumes"
      alsactl restore
      if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
          stat_fail
      else
          add_daemon alsamixer
          stat_done
      fi
      ;;
    stop)
      stat_busy "Storing Alsa mixer volumes"
      alsactl store
      if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
          stat_fail
      else
          rm_daemon alsamixer
          stat_done
      fi
      ;;
    restart)
      $0 stop
      sleep 1
      $0 start
      ;;
    *)
      echo "Usage $0 {start|stop|restart}"
      ;;
esac

3 Make it executable:

chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/alsamixer

#4 2004-10-12 09:49:12

tony

Thank to both of you. I have been reading about polite arch forums and about people who are willing to help but this is just great. I have solved that problem yesterday I made copy of that shell script and it works great lol Still I dont know how to add different desktop managers as gnome etc. to kdm? :cry: Not to forget how to create user who is able to mount on and use dvd and cdrw. If you have any info that would be helpful please  :oops:  By the way arch is the greatest distro a have had in my comp and if it stays how it is now we are going to be friends for a long long time wink  Thank you for your help gentlemen.

#5 2004-10-12 12:32:35

Win

Hi Tony.

Glad to be of assistance.

I. With respect to your new question about mounting your DVD and CD-RW as a user:

With the most up-to-date IDE kernel and udev, I have a single DVD/DVD-RW/CD/CD-RW drive that's configured as follows in /etc/fstab.

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cdrom    iso9660   ro,user,noauto      0      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/dvd      udf       ro,user,noauto      0      0

Note the string "user" in the fourth field. That's all that's needed to allow any user to mount/unmount the CD or DVD drive.

You'll probably need to do a few other things to make this work properly, though:

1. /boot/grub/menu.lst: add a kernel option such as "hdc=ide-scsi" (you'll see the appropriate hd? value if you scan the output of 'dmesg')
2. /etc/rc.conf: add the 'sr-mod' module to the MODULES list
3. /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules: add symbolic links, such as:

# cd-rw
KERNEL="sr0",     NAME="sr0", SYMLINK="dvd rdvd cdrom hdc cdroms/cdrom0"

You'll need devices such as /dev/dvd, /dev/rdvd, and /dev/cdrom for some applications to work properly.

If you have separate DVD and CD-ROM drives, you'll need to make some changes to this, of course. For example, you'll need to have more than one kernel option (for example, "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"). You can take a look at the devices auto-generated by udev by doing 'ls -lr /dev' and seeing what's going on the the /dev/sr* devices.

II. With respect to adding other window managers:

As far as I'm aware -- with the exception of Gnome -- window managers are automatically configured to be loaded by kdm. If you click on the lower-right-hand button of the KDE login box, for example, you'll see a list of the window managers available.

Good luck,

Win

#6 2004-10-12 14:09:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Win wrote:

1. /boot/grub/menu.lst: add a kernel option such as "hdc=ide-scsi" (you'll see the appropriate hd? value if you scan the output of 'dmesg')

If you check your dmesg after enabling this, udev doesn't like it.  According to the output, it isn't required anymore....
I haven't looked into the details, but I recall a message saying ide-scsi was deprecated...

#7 2004-10-12 16:59:58

Win

Hi phrakture.

Yes, you are correct. The specification should be "hdc=ide-cd". As you noted, the ide-scsi option is now deprecated in kernel 2.6.x.

Regards,

Win

#8 2004-10-14 12:40:19

tony

Again thank you gentlemen. First of all I have made some changes according to your instructions lol but still I have a problem because I do not use GRUB but LILO. Anyway at least now I am able to mount dvd and cdrw  lol even I am not able to unmount them sad . I have created shortcuts on the KDE desktop and after I try to unmount each of them they behave like unmounted but physically I cannot open any of those two. The second question about adding gnome to kdm I could not find any documentation how to do it if you would find something to that topic please let me know. Once more thank to both of you.

Board footer