You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-09 01:22:02

LittlePenguinZ

Unetbootin HD installation - possible ?

Hello !

I have recently managed to murder my CD drive but I still want to install Arch. Unfortunately, my crappy motherboard does not support booting from USB sticks. So, I got myself the unetbootin executable and fed the Arch FTP .iso to it.

Unfortunately, I get a kernel panic once the kernel tries to access the files on the non-existant CD during the boot process. Of course, this is to be expected since the files are on the .iso which is not mounted, but I have managed to launch Fedora Live this way. The difference was, Fedora drops to you to a shell from where you can mount the ISO and link it's contents to / and once it's done the boot process resumes normally. Arch on the other hand, dies at this point.

Is there any workaround around this, or are there any other alternative installation methods that do not involve CDs or USBs ? Also, preferably do not involve chrooting from another distro as I don't have Linux installed ATM.

Any ideas ?

Last edited by LittlePenguinZ (2009-01-09 02:46:01)

#2 2009-01-09 02:16:03

kgas

Re: Unetbootin HD installation - possible ?

It is possible to install Arch Linux. I think you got struck up at the package selection.

If you are using usb disk for installation and it will not be mounted as CD rom hence
    we have to mount it manually to see the package directory.
    Let usb device be : /dev/sdb1
        pkg source in : /src/core/pkg in this case
        use mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /src
         Now things will work fine....

#3 2009-01-09 02:38:20

LittlePenguinZ

I'm stuck at the BOOT PROCESS ! The kernel crashes before I can access BASH, let alone launch the installer. It's impossible to do anything on that system.

(edited the OP a little, hope it will get a little more clear)

Last edited by LittlePenguinZ (2009-01-09 02:42:58)

#4 2009-01-09 05:08:35

lilsirecho
Veteran

I assume you can download Faunos and create a USB flash drive on another machine.

This will lead to a program which will load arch material into your hard drive and you can then boot on the drive.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2009-01-09 05:37:04

kgas

I have created the USB disk with 2008.03 iso image (core) using unebootin and works fine with the mounting part I mentioned. The other option is as mentioned by lilsirecho or you can use an arch image file to create the usb disk.

Board footer