You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-22 10:37:02

valmar

lcd patches / font rendering in gtk and kde applications [SOLVED]

Dear All,

You might remember a post some time ago about kde and gtk applications having different look. I am still working on it, and I have two questions for you

1) I would like to use the lcd patches in aur. Now, there used to be freetype2-lcd, libxft-lcd, cairo-lcd and fontconfig-lcd. Now I noticed that libxft-lcd is in community, all the others are still in aur, except freetype2-lcd. My question is, if I want to use these patches, how can I do it? I understand I have to install cairo-lcd and libxft-lcd from aur and community. But what about freetype2? Should I use the official one? I read somewhere that freetype2-cleartype has the same patches. Is that correct? Should I use that? Anyone knows why freetype2-lcd is not in aur any more?

2) For those who were interested in the different hintering problem, I think it is the problem described here:

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/09 … ng-on-x11/

Acutally, if I turn off autohinter the fonts look more or less the same. This is resonable with all the bugs in Qt 4.4 and cairo described on the link. I will continue my experiments.

Thanks, especially if you can clarify the lcd patches issue.

Valerio

Last edited by valmar (2009-01-09 11:04:35)

#2 2008-12-22 13:43:35

brebs

Re: lcd patches / font rendering in gtk and kde applications [SOLVED]

I suggest you follow the Gentoo thread, and take a look at my cairo-respect-fontconfig.patch, to at least fix cairo's bug of sometimes ignoring ~/.fonts.conf

#3 2008-12-22 13:44:58

jarryson

1) only need cairo-lcd fontconfig-lcd libxft-lcd, and no need freetype-cleartype or freetype-lcd.

Because freetype contain lcd patch already by default, just a config file included in package "fontconfig-lcd".

Plus: add a lcd patch may not be very suitable for every one, so you'd better also try -ubuntu patch or something else.

plus2: lcd patch work fine here

Last edited by jarryson (2008-12-22 13:46:08)

#4 2009-01-09 11:04:18

valmar

Dear All, after a long search I finally found a very accettable configuration.

First of all patched cairo using the cairo-resepect-fontconfig patch from brebs

then I applied the following patches to Qt 4.4.3:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/217729

finally I chose the following configuration:

Autohint: yes
Hinting: yes
Hintstyle: hintmedium
Lcdfilter: lcddefault (I installed the Ubuntu packages)
Rgba: rgb
Antialiasing: yes

Now my fonts in Qt and GTK look much more similar (not perfectly identical, but good enough!)

Thanks to anyone who helped

Valerio

Board footer