You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-10 04:15:56

Chance

[Answered] Creating space on top of desktop for Openbox

Hi all, I currently don't have openbox installed on my arch setup yet tongue. However, the only reason I didn't go with openbox box over gnome was openbox's need to rightclick on the desktop to open things.

I was wondering if there was a way to leave a space the size of the gnome panel on the top of the desktop where openbox screens won't cover up. This way i can just right-click on that space like I would left click on the gnome panel to open programs at the top of my screen.

Thanks. big_smile

Last edited by Chance (2009-01-10 16:31:53)

#2 2009-01-10 04:21:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: [Answered] Creating space on top of desktop for Openbox

Why not just run a panel with openbox? You could even run the Gnome panel.

Open box is very configurable btw, so you could bind the menu to a key combination, to clicks on windows, etc.

There's also gmrun and other app launchers which you can bind to keys/clicks/whatever.

If you really just want to leave a bit of space, you can do that too by setting screen margins.

Now go install Openbox tongue

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-01-10 04:26:59

Chance

Why not just run a panel with openbox? You could even run the Gnome panel.

Open box is very configurable btw, so you could bind the menu to a key combination, to clicks on windows, etc.

There's also gmrun and other app launchers which you can bind to keys/clicks/whatever.

If you really just want to leave a bit of space, you can do that too by setting screen margins.

Now go install Openbox tongue

Well, the reason why i'm making this more difficult than it should be is because I want to have a conky setup right where that panel would be. That way i can still rightclick with openbox to launch programs.

Since this thread is about openbox, I might as well ask the remaining questions that i have.

1. I plan on using KDM as my login because I'm a sucker for good looks, by using KDM can i still download and use gtk2 to edit how my windows would look?
2. I'm pretty sure using KDM won't use up the amount of resourses as I would if i was actually using KDE, right?

Thanks. I'm just a pain to satisfy when it comes to my computer and how it looks roll
At least i finally got the 'how i want my computer to run' done with arch linux big_smile

#4 2009-01-10 04:42:07

xaiviax

yes and yes to your questions  smile

#5 2009-01-10 15:39:05

slang

Hi Chance,

i've used Openbox for some time now, and with 'obconf' you can set screen margins (reserved areas on the desktop, which won't be covered by maximized windows.

Regards,

Steffen

Life is too short to be taken seriously.
                --- Oscar Wilde

#6 2009-01-10 16:31:38

Chance

Thanks for the replies guys. They're all tempting me to switch to openbox as my desktop environment with KDM login during reading week tongue

Board footer