You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-10 20:56:46

nexus7

[probably SOLVED] xmonad + gnome again

Hi folks!

After running 'plain' xmonad-darcs for a time i'd like to run gnome together with xmonad, so installed gnome today (haven't used it for years). gnome is up and running, but i can't get to get it run with xmonad as it's wm~

Of course i've tried to follow xmonad's wiki... I used other people's xmonad.hs, that basic one or that other one; additionally, xmonad-contrib-darcs v20081207-1 is installed. For completeness, I actually just use

-- xmonad.hs
import XMonad
import XMonad.Config.Gnome

main = xmonad gnomeConfig

It seems, that somehow xmonad can't be imported: a new created ~/.gnomerc makes no change, same with a copied  "export WINDOW_MANAGER=xmonad"  in ~/.profile (which is sourced by .xinitrc) or even in ~/.xinitrc itself. I added xmonad to the list of starting programs in gnome's session manager as well, I disabled nautilus and changed the position of the panel... Trying to start gnome with this:

export WINDOW_MANAGER=xmonad
   exec gnome-session --purge-delay=3000

it says that --purge-delay is an invalid option (so i guess that is meant to work with an older version of gnome).

Then it comes up to gnome-session. But in my gnome there is no possibility to "select Metacity and change style to Trash"!? (Within the "sessions" I only can add starting programs or tell which applications to remember.)

Nevertheless, I can start an xterm and run "killall metacity; xmonad &"; then metacity disappears, windows are indeed tiling, but in the xterm there's the following output:

$ unknown ClientMessageEvent 269
unknown ClientMessageEvent 269

and the system becomes almost unusable. After killing the xterm metactiy reappears.

I wonder how Phrodo_00 solved his problem, seemed to be trivial...

Any ideas?

Last edited by nexus7 (2009-01-11 14:07:52)

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#2 2009-01-10 21:55:38

Odd-rationale

Re: [probably SOLVED] xmonad + gnome again

I do it the same way you have to do it with openbox: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox#GNOME_2.24

I have a /usr/share/applications/xmonad.desktop file with:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=XMonad
Exec=xmonad
NoDisplay=true
# name of loadable control center module
X-GNOME-WMSettingsModule=xmonad
# name we put on the WM spec check window
X-GNOME-WMName=XMonad

And set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager to xmonad in gconf:

gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager xmonad

#3 2009-01-10 23:53:43

nexus7

A. Cheers Odd, that was great! big_smile
How did you get to know that?

It still worked fine after killing X and after logging in again; there were only little difficulties after reboot, when it took about 5 minutes for x to start, with lots of cooling and harddisk activities. Do you have any xmonad-specific entries in .xinitrc and/or .profile like me (see above; I tried commenting them out but that doesn't seem to make [a big] difference)?

B. At the same time I'd like to have xfce with xmonad on another system, following this guide, with the same effect that I can't export xmonad on startx. So similar to gnome I created a file "/usr/share/applications/xmonad.desktop":

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=XMonad
Exec=xmonad
NoDisplay=true
# name of loadable control center module
X-XFCE-WMSettingsModule=xmonad
# name we put on the WM spec check window
X-XFCE-WMName=XMonad

Is this correct? Do you also have experiences with that?
Thanks!

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#4 2009-01-11 00:24:39

Odd-rationale

nexus7 wrote:

A. Cheers Odd, that was great! big_smile
How did you get to know that?

It still worked fine after killing X and after logging in again; there were only little difficulties after reboot, when it took about 5 minutes for x to start, with lots of cooling and harddisk activities. Do you have any xmonad-specific entries in .xinitrc and/or .profile like me (see above; I tried commenting them out but that doesn't seem to make [a big] difference)?

No, don't use s ~/.gnomerc, or ~/.profile. in fact, i'm not eve using ~/.xinitrc. I'm just using the plain gnome session with the hacks I listed above.

nexus7 wrote:

B. At the same time I'd like to have xfce with xmonad on another system, following this guide, with the same effect that I can't export xmonad on startx.

Sorry, never trid to use xmonad in xfce... yet.

#5 2009-01-11 12:02:36

nexus7

Ugh! roll

Because starting x takes always 5-10 minutes I liked to speed it up. I thought it still could be gnome fighting against xmonad, since here xmonad is added as starting program while at the same time you have the "/usr/share/applications/xmonad.desktop" (see above). So I liked to  see what happens after deselecting xmoand as starting program in the sessions manager... But from now on gnome wouldn't  start at all anymore! Neither

gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager metacity

nor

rm -rf  ~/.gnome* ~/.gconf*

helped (I don't have a ~/.gnome2/session)! X just hangs after showing its cursor, and there are heavy cooling but lesser disk activities -- so how to reactivate plain gnome??

But also suddenly another problem seem to arise (but for heavens sake, why~ there weren't any before...):
In the first time I crashed X that error was shown in the console:

(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!

-- But how comes?, I disabled these in /etc/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
     Option "AutoEnableDevices" "False"
EndSection

Now there's another one:

error setting MTRR (base = 0xe8000000, size = 0x08000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

Disgusting~

Nevertheless running plain xmonad works... ((edit: after exchanging the xmonad.hs of course))

Last edited by nexus7 (2009-01-11 12:03:52)

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#6 2009-01-11 12:22:39

nexus7

GRR!! -- just when I thought things couldn't get any worse~ mad

-- Correction: Now even xmoand does not start anymore...!

Odd-rationale wrote:

... in fact, i'm not eve using ~/.xinitrc. I'm just using the plain gnome session with the hacks I listed above. ...

Just for interest: without .xinitrc, how do you start X then?

Last edited by nexus7 (2009-01-11 12:31:13)

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#7 2009-01-11 13:12:06

Odd-rationale

i use gdm, and select gnome of the sessions menu. because xmonad is put as the window manager in gconf, it gets used instead of metacity.

#8 2009-01-11 14:06:39

nexus7

Odd-rationale wrote:

i use gdm, and select gnome of the sessions menu. because xmonad is put as the window manager in gconf, it gets used instead of metacity.

I see; will try that out (soon... I hope; until now I always just ran startx on console and haven't used any login-manager yet).
Thanks again! smile

Well, I guess the reason that gnome with or without xmonad does not run is that odd xorg7.4- and maybe a driver-problem (though I use intel-dri from AUR). So for whatever reason X continued to start before, now it doesn't, so I must care about xorg first~ But dispite this I'm convinced after solving this gnome-xmonad would run.

Additionally, on my other system xfce is now running with xmonad from startup smile
Well, err, just forgot to select xmonad as a starting program within xfce4-autostart-editor tongue
And an extra "/usr/share/applications/xmonad.desktop" is not necessary here; I renamed it, rebooted and it still works fine. So it's quite a bit easier to make xmoand work together with xfce than with gnome --  just follow the guide!

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

Board footer