You are not logged in.

#26 2004-10-13 18:11:45

ChrisX

Re: [REQUEST] Laptop Forum

Hello everyone, I am fairly adept with linux and know most of workings of the system.  I found out about archlinux several months back.  The big distro I was into was gentoo.  Of coarse, as most of you may know, it takes too much time to compile everything.  Now that I have researched into archlinux, I am VERY satisfied with what I see.  My big question is that I am going to install archlinux on a laptop of mine, finally, that uses acpi to manage the fan/heat/power etc...  The problem is that the kernel on the archlinux install cd doesn't have acpi built in nor are the acpi modules themselves on the cd.  I need these modules to install archlinux without burning up my laptop.  I was wondering if anybody knew where I could get the modules.  I am using the 0.6 install cd.  I haven't looked at the 0.7 beta install cd, yet.  I would appreciate any help.

#27 2004-10-13 18:34:00

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ChrisX wrote:

Hello everyone, I am fairly adept with linux and know most of workings of the system.  I found out about archlinux several months back.  The big distro I was into was gentoo.  Of coarse, as most of you may know, it takes too much time to compile everything.  Now that I have researched into archlinux, I am VERY satisfied with what I see.  My big question is that I am going to install archlinux on a laptop of mine, finally, that uses acpi to manage the fan/heat/power etc...  The problem is that the kernel on the archlinux install cd doesn't have acpi built in nor are the acpi modules themselves on the cd.  I need these modules to install archlinux without burning up my laptop.  I was wondering if anybody knew where I could get the modules.  I am using the 0.6 install cd.  I haven't looked at the 0.7 beta install cd, yet.  I would appreciate any help.

Well, if you can, get the 0.7 iso... that helps.  You can install without acpi, your laptop shouldn't require acpi to run safely (unless it is a very old laptop, in which case, Arch might not be the best idea).  The stock arch kernels have almost everything built, either in the kernel or as modules.  Once you install the kernel, add "acpi=on apm=off" to your kernel boot line.  When you boot, this will enable acpi.

You may also want to pacman acpi and acpid, and run acpid at boot time (rc.conf).

There is a laptop-mode-tools package in my repo (below) which helps save some power while running off batteries.  In addition, you may want to grab the cpudyn package which allows you to use acpi throttling and disk spin-down through acpi.

#28 2004-10-13 21:46:02

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

hilarious!  that's another one wanting a laptop forum then!

#29 2004-11-11 18:15:12

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Laptop Issues - Issues dealing with Linux on laptops.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=31

I am moving some of the existing laptop topics to the new forum.

Markku

#30 2004-11-11 18:20:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

rasat wrote:

Laptop Issues - Issues dealing with Linux on laptops.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=31

I am moving some of the existing laptop topics to the new forum.

Hooray, thanks man!

Board footer