You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-09 20:19:00

aglarond

Problem with system clock.

I'm having an odd problem with my machine. I thought it was something specific to Ubuntu, but Arch is doing it, too.

First, the counter in grub doesn't count down; it just sits at five until I hit a key and select my kernel.

The boot pauses twice at setting the clock and then shows "Timed out waiting for time change."

Looking at rc.sysinit, it looks like it's executing 'hwclock --hctosys --utc'. Running that from the command line gives the same error.

I'm guessing the two are related, but I'm not sure. The only odd thing I can find in dmesg is: "Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = 62616021 ns)". I don't know if it's related, though.

Thanks
-mS

#2 2009-01-09 20:33:33

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: Problem with system clock.

Check the time/clock settings in your BIOS--anything unusual there?

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#3 2009-01-11 17:39:48

aglarond

Re: Problem with system clock.

Sorry; it took me a while to get to a place where I could reboot and take a look and, actually, there is a problem. The BIOS clock doesn't seem to be incrementing at all. I set it on January 3rd when I loaded Arch and it was still at the same time today. I guess I haven't noticed because I use NTP and rarely reboot. Would a battery on the main board cause something like that or is it a deeper problem? Normally I'd expect a bad battery to cause the settings to revert to defaults, which isn't happening here.

Thanks
-mS

Board footer