You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-11 16:56:22

Axell

Modules install wrong kernel

Hi! I'm for 2 weeks on Arch. Came here from Gentoo smile

I've build new kernel. Without pkgbuild (or how is it called?). It warks fine. But pacman still installs new modules in old kernel directory. For example, madwifi. Now my modules are in /lib/2.6.28-axell, but pacman installs all them in /lib/2.6.27-ARCH.

How to fix it?
Thanks!

#2 2009-01-11 17:01:08

bender02

Re: Modules install wrong kernel

If you have your own kernel, you need to compile modules for it by yourself as well. Either by re-using PKGBUILDs for module packages, or manually (as you did with the kernel).

Arch's packages (the stuff managed by pacman) are just tarballs which unpack to the filesystem on "installation". So packages with modules for the standard kernel cannot be used with another kernel.

#3 2009-01-11 18:34:26

Axell

Re: Modules install wrong kernel

But how do they install modules when new kernel appears in pacman db? All packages got rebuild to fit it?
Anyway, thank you)

Btw, I'm trying to set up fbsplash. I've got framebuffer console with default kernel, but I had kernel panic when it tried to mount root fs. May be there is any othr way to fix it, then recompiling own kernel?

And on more question: there is some way to get source pacages through pacman. I suppose, it has automated system for compiling them (like gentoo's portage). If I try installing madwifi that way, would modules install in proper kernel directory?

Thank you once again.

Last edited by Axell (2009-01-11 18:37:53)

Board footer