You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-11 12:27:36

luft

Arora QT version upgrade!

Arora is the only qt based webkit browser (IIRC). That's nice and all but the current version in the community repository does not have flash capability, is slower than firefox at javascript, and performs relatively badly on the acid 3 tests.

Of course, that's now a thing of the past thanks to this package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23073

The arora-qtplus package I've made quickly* installs some qt 4.5.0 libraries from qt-snapshot, allowing arora to use flashplugin, perform 2.8x faster than firefox on the sunspider javascript tests, and score 100/100 on the acid3 tests. Best of all, it does not interfere with current qt4 installs.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose!

note: The above package is binary only and depends on arora-git. I'll be putting a package that builds from source on the AUR tomorrow.

notethesecond: The "Arora Qt-4.5.0" Icon will not appear in your menubar until you restart your DE. You can start arora with qt 4.5.0 before doing so by running it's wrapper script "arora-qt4.5.0"

*quickly only applies to the binary version. The binary version link is in the comments of my AUR package.

Last edited by luft (2009-01-11 19:55:27)

#2 2009-01-11 12:44:48

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Arora QT version upgrade!

luft wrote:

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose!

Yes, you do...

While the above package may be perfectly safe, I would not be using a binary from a user making their first post.   Wait for the PKGBUILD.  Also note that even a binary presented with a PKGBUILD was not necessarily built using that PKGBUILD....

#3 2009-01-11 13:08:22

luft

Here's the pkgbuild for the above package:

#Made by Mark Hammons <markehammons@att.net>

pkgname=arora-qtplus
pkgver=01112009
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Uses Qt 4.5.0 development libs for Arora."
arch=('i686')
provides=('arora-qtplus')
url="labs.trolltech.com"
depends=('arora-git' 'qt')
license=('gpl2')

build()
{
    echo Building Package...
    mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/opt/
    mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications
    mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/bin
    cd $startdir/pkg/opt/
    tar xjf $startdir/arora_qt-4.5.0-$pkgver.tar.bz2
    cp $startdir/arora-qt4.5.0 $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/
    cp $startdir/arora-qt4.5.0.desktop $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications/
}

#4 2009-01-11 13:16:23

agapito

Interesting...

Is flash working 100% fine? Because Konqueror sucks with flash. I am using Opera.

Excuse my poor English.

#5 2009-01-11 13:29:26

luft

So far as I've tested, flash works as well in arora now as it does in FF. That being said it far outperforms konqueror.

#6 2009-01-11 13:30:21

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'd strongly recommend learning about PKGBUILDs before posting them, particularly if you want people to use a precompiled binary. There's plenty wrong with this one, but for now I'll just mention the lack of a source URL. How are people meant to find arora_qt-4.5.0-1.tar.bz2? How do they know they can trust it?

I went to labs.trolltech.com, which is the project url according to your PKGBUILD, but there is no mention of arora there.

To any potential users - please wait for luft's promised source build, so that you can dissect the PKGBUILD and be sure of what you're getting.

#7 2009-01-11 13:37:36

luft

tomk wrote:

I'd strongly recommend learning about PKGBUILDs before posting them, particularly if you want people to use a precompiled binary. There's plenty wrong with this one, but for now I'll just mention the lack of a source URL. How are people meant to find arora_qt-4.5.0-1.tar.bz2? How do they know they can trust it?

I went to labs.trolltech.com, which is the project url according to your PKGBUILD, but there is no mention of arora there.

To any potential users - please wait for luft's promised source build, so that you can dissect the PKGBUILD and be sure of what you're getting.

The package itself is all that I'm distributing above. The pkgbuild above wasn't made to download the tar.bz2 because I haven't found a place to host the file that people can wget from.

As for the project url, technically, this is only a handful of libs from qt-snapshot that arora needs to get these extra features. This is not a build of arora, just a build meant for arora.

And I would also appreciate if you would post the other problems you found with the pkgbuild above. This is my first arch package, and any input on what I could do better would be nice.

#8 2009-01-11 14:00:01

Allan
Pacman
Website

The PKGBUILD should show the process of building the binary from source.  I.e. specify the source which is downloaded, ./configure, make, etc...  Look at the many other PKGBUILDs around to see what you should be doing.

This is just repackaging a binary (I assume) you have made into a package.  That is still installing an unknown binary so not safe!

#9 2009-01-11 14:54:29

luft

Here's my preliminary pkgbuild for building from source. If you see any problems with it let me know.

#Made by Mark Hammons <markehammons@att.net>
#
#To fully install the qt 4.5.0 snapshot, replace "light" with "full" in _installmode

pkgname=arora-qtplus-git
pkgver=9999
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Uses Qt 4.5.0 development libs for Arora."
arch=('i686')
provides=('arora-qtplus')
url="labs.trolltech.com"
depends=('arora-git' 'qt' 'git')
license=('gpl2')
_installmode="light"

_gitname=qt-snapshot
build()
{
  cd "$startdir"
     mkdir -p "$pkgdir"/opt/qt-4.5.0
     mkdir -p "$pkgdir"/usr/bin
     mkdir -p "$pkgdir"/usr/share/applications

msg "Connecting to GIT server...."
     cd "$srcdir"
     if [ -d "$_gitname" ] ; then
            cd $_gitname && git pull origin
            msg "The local files are updated."
     else 
            git clone --depth 1 git://labs.trolltech.com/qt-snapshot
            cd "$_gitname"
     fi

msg "Finished. Starting build..."
     ./configure -no-accessibility -no-exceptions -no-qt3support -no-separate-debug-info -prefix /opt/qt-4.5.0
     make
     if [ $_installmode = light ]; then
            mv lib plugins "$pkgdir"/opt/qt-4.5.0
     elif [ $_installmode = full ]; then
            make INSTALL_ROOT="$pkgdir" install
     fi

cd $startdir
     cp arora-qt4.5.0 $pkgdir/usr/bin/
     cp arora-qt4.5.0.desktop $pkgdir/usr/share/applications
     return 1
}

#10 2009-01-11 14:59:46

Army

Those of you guys, who want to have arora with flash etc, just install qt-beta or qt-snapshot from aur and compile arora-git with abs => done! Nobody needs this precompiled thing. Ok, Qt takes a while to be compiled and it's a big download, but you are on the safe side.

#11 2009-01-11 15:18:37

luft

Army wrote:

Those of you guys, who want to have arora with flash etc, just install qt-beta or qt-snapshot from aur and compile arora-git with abs => done! Nobody needs this precompiled thing. Ok, Qt takes a while to be compiled and it's a big download, but you are on the safe side.

The problem with those packages is they conflict and replace qt-4.4.3, while my package does not. All my package affects is Arora.

#12 2009-01-11 16:03:18

Damnshock

luft wrote:
Army wrote:

The problem with those packages is they conflict and replace qt-4.4.3, while my package does not. All my package affects is Arora.

Don't you realize that it just looks "silly" not to show the source? What are you afraid of?

People, forget about this package please.

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#13 2009-01-11 16:18:39

luft

The preliminary non-binary pkgbuild was posted above. I'm not refusing to show the source, I merely made a binary pkg so you don't have to download and compile 150MBs of source code if you don't want to.

#14 2009-01-11 19:56:33

luft

Added pkgbuild to AUR.

#15 2009-01-11 21:09:36

deltaecho

If you're motives were truly honest (which I believe they were), don't let this discourage you; I'm interested in getting Arora up and running, and will probably check into building it with your PKGBUILD soon.  I noticed you only have 'i686' listed as supported, is there a reason you've excluded 'x86_64'?

@Allan's advice is good, though.  As he stated ...

Allan wrote:

While the above package may be perfectly safe, I would not be using a binary from a user making their first post.   Wait for the PKGBUILD.  Also note that even a binary presented with a PKGBUILD was not necessarily built using that PKGBUILD....

... such wisdom is definitely needed in our binary-frenzied world. 

Keep it up, don't be discouraged, and welcome to the ArchLinux forums!

Dylon

#16 2009-01-11 21:30:52

luft

If you're motives were truly honest (which I believe they were), don't let this discourage you; I'm interested in getting Arora up and running, and will probably check into building it with your PKGBUILD soon.  I noticed you only have 'i686' listed as supported, is there a reason you've excluded 'x86_64'?

Oh, no there isn't. It was from the binary before. I've updated it. Thanks for the kind words btw.

Also please note that the installer trims down a lot of the stuff that is built by default. If you want to keep the full qt build, replace 'light' with 'full' in the pkgbuild.

Last edited by luft (2009-01-11 21:41:36)

#17 2009-01-12 11:17:53

b9anders

Tried it from source. wow, that took ages. Nice buld, but a bit diappointed that it doesn't obey my theming settings for qt. hmm

Board footer