You are not logged in.

#26 2004-08-27 05:27:48

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: GUI again: Meet Archibald

Lovechild wrote:

when I run it from a terminal it just sits there, no GUI comes alive..

When Archibald was introduced it worked but now I have the same problem. As a user no GUI and in root it freeze.

<b>Root mode:</b>
(<unknown>:4209): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktreeview.c: line 9099 (gtk_tree_view_set_headers_clickable): assertion `tree_view->priv->model != NULL' failed
Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Key duplication when adding: current
in <0x0025a> System.Collections.Hashtable:PutImpl (object,object,bool)
in <0x00019> System.Collections.Hashtable:Add (object,object)
in <0x00924> ArchLinux.LibPacNet.PackageManager:LoadPacmanConf ()
in <0x00072> ArchLinux.LibPacNet.PackageManager:InitRepos (ArchLinux.LibPacNet.ProgressDelegate,bool)
in <0x00059> ArchLinux.Archibald.Archibald:StartInitRepos ()
in <0x00053> (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.MulticastDelegate:invoke_void ()
(<unknown>:4209): Gnome-CRITICAL **: file gnome-program.c: line 739 (gnome_program_get_app_id): assertion `program != NULL' failed

<b>User mode:</b>
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
(<unknown>:4409): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Markku

#27 2004-08-27 07:21:56

sweiss

zeppelin wrote:
sweiss wrote:

If anyone knows of such a tutorial (also a similar tutorial for PyGTK will be more than welcome), please, let me know.

Python:
http://www.g2swaroop.net/files/byte/byt … ml_115.zip

PyGTK:
http://www.pygtk.org/dist/pygtk2tutorial.tgz
Live PyGTK code:
http://www.pygtk.org/applications.html

I 'm a great fan of .net's idea. but MS is behind it
and Mono has patent problems if MS someday wakes up and say: "I like you guys, I know I have supported you in the past. now pay me"

Python on the other hand is and will be OpenSource and has no specific patent problems.

Parrot is a good project but a bit behind from Mono [and I don't see that changing]

Thank you.

#28 2004-08-27 08:15:29

Haakon

rasat wrote:
Lovechild wrote:

when I run it from a terminal it just sits there, no GUI comes alive..

When Archibald was introduced it worked but now I have the same problem. As a user no GUI and in root it freeze.

Yes, I see what's the problem (thanks for posting the output). The latest pacman package has a pacman.conf that says:

[current]
# Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
Include = /etc/pacman.d/current

whereas it used to be

# Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
Include = /etc/pacman.d/current

[current] also appears in the included files, so strictly speaking, they appear twice. Archibald's config parser can't handle this. I'll fix this in the next release, but the temporary fix would be to remove [current] (as well as [extra]) from your pacman.conf if you also include files that has those things.

Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

#29 2004-08-27 09:46:50

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Haakon wrote:

...but the temporary fix would be to remove [current] (as well as [extra]) from your pacman.conf if you also include files that has those things.

Its working.
In root mood its ok. In user mode if root password is entered, no GUI. This problem was earlier but I didn't pay attention.

<b>User mode with root pw:</b>
(<unknown>:8600): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Markku

#30 2004-08-27 10:02:11

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

try it using sudo

HTH

Mr Green

#31 2004-08-27 10:57:16

IceRAM
Website

rasat wrote:

In user mode if root password is entered, no GUI. This problem was earlier but I didn't pay attention.

ArchLinux Wiki: Root GUI programs in user Desktop

#32 2004-08-27 11:25:13

Haakon

rasat wrote:

In root mood its ok. In user mode if root password is entered, no GUI. This problem was earlier but I didn't pay attention.

This doesn't happen for me. Did 'xhost +localhost' help? I didn't think that would be necessary when staring from gksu.

#33 2004-08-27 14:29:28

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Haakon wrote:

Did 'xhost +localhost' help?

Yes, now its working.
Install function is nice: list of available packages and current & total install bar %.

EDIT:
Is it possible to have multiple selection of packages for both install and remove?

Markku

#34 2004-08-27 17:25:31

Haakon

rasat wrote:

Is it possible to have multiple selection of packages for both install and remove?

Not in the current version.

At first, I designed it so that you picked which packages you wanted to install and/or remove (and it would auto-select and auto-deselect dependencies), and then you'd press "Commit" to start the whole process. But this turned into a complexity nightmare on which I wasted a lot of time. So I performed a reality check and thought most people who use Archibald will most of the time want to install single packages (+ dependencies of course). I still think that's the case.

I may still add support for selecting multiple packages for install/remove, but it will have to be done in a way that is intuitive and helpful without being too complex. In fact, thinking about it now I think it's most doable, so watch out, maybe for 0.2 or so smile I added an enhancement ticket, you can add comments there for specific ideas on the topic.

Feel free to add other enhancement tickets if you have other ideas. I have some extravagant ideas for cool stuff myself, but I'm more interested in features people miss and would find useful smile

#35 2004-09-25 20:35:48

zeppelin
Website

pygtk says:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./gpacsearch.py", line 282, in ?
    load_database()
  File "./gpacsearch.py", line 34, in load_database
    database.load(pacpath)
  File "/tmp/gpacsearch/pacbase.py", line 92, in load
    repo.load(path)
  File "/tmp/gpacsearch/pacbase.py", line 69, in load
    pack.load_info(path+self.name+'/'+file)
  File "/tmp/gpacsearch/pacbase.py", line 14, in load_info
    fp = open(path+'/desc','r')
IOError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/var/lib/pacman/dp/.lastupdate/desc'
now

note that archibald alos doesn't work for another reason
I'm using pacman.d/ style in pacman.conf

that's all folks

#36 2004-09-26 19:38:05

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

mwahahaha.  Silly assumption.  Who ever assumed that all the files in /var/lib/pacman/<x>/ would be directories?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#37 2004-09-26 21:44:38

zeppelin
Website

Xentac wrote:

mwahahaha.  Silly assumption.  Who ever assumed that all the files in /var/lib/pacman/<x>/ would be directories?

I don't agree with silly. .lastupdate is just a file, and here is python showing how pretty this lang is smile

I know python + pygtk, but have ZERO knowledge of the pacman's db system.
so xentac, if you can please tell us where we can find desc of dp repo?

#38 2004-09-27 00:17:43

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's an assumption in the code, not anything wrong with any db.  I could write a patch (it'd be really small) or the author could write it... I have homework and don't like picking up other people's projects.  I just found it funny that he'd made that assumption when programming it wink

All you have to do is check that the item passed back by os.listdir is actually a directory (os.path.isdir).  If it isn't, then just ignore it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#39 2004-10-13 20:37:38

rehcra
Website

Nice program, but...

I hate mono and C#

Perhaps it's a nice language and polished development environment, but what does it provide that C++ doesn't provide? gtkmm bindings are really wonderful, I doubt that gtk# are better.

And C++ comes at MUCH lover overhead (compared to C, only a few percent larger binary code due to exception tables). You don't need a wm. C++ is often even faster than C (but, as I said, it's a bit larger).

Guys, C# is inferior to C++. There's nothing better in C# than in C++ (and you can even have garbage collection in C++).

I'd use archibald if it was written in C++.

http://pdfinglis.tripod.com/widget.html
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
                                 -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

#40 2004-10-13 21:46:22

zeppelin
Website

rehcra,
please man, there are problems in the world more important of what everyone thinks on "C++ vs C#"
consider google for this, this is not the right place.

The problem here is that noone is going to improve gpacman [on pygtk] and noone is going to maintain archibald [it DOES NOT WORK with pacman.d/ style ]
CLI of course works thanks to Judd and the others

Also REAL PROBLEMS are the the next president of USA {if it's Bush again..}, Israel's politics on Palestine, USA supporting Israel, AIDS/HIV, Hunger, Unemployment, you_name_it

I really don't like both C# and C++
Should I just say "oh IMHO I like that and that but not that that"
Afterall you have your opinion nobody is going to change it for you. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
Thanks and next time google and post more relatively

#41 2004-10-14 05:20:37

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

What I understand archbald is for the end users who are interested to know if it does the job they expect not for developers interested to do further improvement based on a particular language. Personally I would feel very annoyed if someone would reject hwd or al-amlug live CD because they are in BASH and not Phyton, C++ or whatever. Suggestions can be given but not making it to a language issue.

Markku

#42 2004-10-14 08:55:34

dreas
Website

I think the prob with Mono/C# is that it's not widely used yet and people refuse to install the whole thing for just a single app.

Anyway, Archibald looks neato, might give it a try as soon as I've installed Arch again...

/curses damaged backup

#43 2004-10-14 12:34:08

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

dreas wrote:

I think the prob with Mono/C# is that it's not widely used yet and people refuse to install the whole thing for just a single app.

I understand what you mean, same I thought about ArchStats when it was in Python and python is a huge package. But all languages are depended on a package. The point is, once you like an apps we don't mind about the dependency packages.

Markku

Board footer