You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 07:10:43

vilefridge

Macbook 1,1 - how to paste to terminal? (no middle mouse button)

How are other Arch-Macbook users out there copying and pasting to and from the terminal?  Without a middle mouse button on the trackpad, I'm not sure how to emulate this or otherwise get this going...  Thanks!

Last edited by vilefridge (2009-01-13 07:11:00)

#2 2009-01-13 13:54:58

Super Jamie
Website

Re: Macbook 1,1 - how to paste to terminal? (no middle mouse button)

http://linuxaleph.blogspot.com/2008/11/ … d-key.html

here's how i do it under ubuntu, should be easy to get going in arch too

if anyone feels like copying this into the arch wiki, go right ahead

#3 2009-01-13 14:19:58

u_no_hu

Shift+Insert?  I hope they are there on macbook...i have never used one

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#4 2009-01-14 03:33:14

vilefridge

There is no Insert key on this early-2006 Macbook.  Super Jamie, thanks for the link to that blog posting.  I ended using an openbox rc.xml keybind on "C-A-KP_Enter" to call "xdotool click 2" which seems to give me the functionality I desire... somewhat.

For some reason, the paste only works from a terminal TO another application.  If I try to paste FROM application to terminal, or terminal to terminal for that matter, it no longer works as desired.  In xterm or dash the terminal, this paste command will clear the window, and if I paste in urxvt a GUI options menu is brought up that I can't escape out of.  Very strange behavior.  Any idea why this might be?

Last edited by vilefridge (2009-01-14 03:35:40)

#5 2009-01-18 08:59:52

konni

on my laptop i can click mouse button 1 and 2 at once to paste selected text, and i didnt do anything for it. maybe it works for you as well.

#6 2009-01-18 20:35:21

kludge

vilefridge wrote:

There is no Insert key on this early-2006 Macbook.  Super Jamie, thanks for the link to that blog posting.  I ended using an openbox rc.xml keybind on "C-A-KP_Enter" to call "xdotool click 2" which seems to give me the functionality I desire... somewhat.

For some reason, the paste only works from a terminal TO another application.  If I try to paste FROM application to terminal, or terminal to terminal for that matter, it no longer works as desired.  In xterm or dash the terminal, this paste command will clear the window, and if I paste in urxvt a GUI options menu is brought up that I can't escape out of.  Very strange behavior.  Any idea why this might be?

ok, sheesh... it's been years since i was running gentoo on an ibook g3, but lemme see if i can excavate anything helpful.  i'd wanted to emulate os x's bindings, but i couldn't find a keypress event for the command button.  so i had to setup keybindings to modifiers+the pad button to get the other click events.

i remember that my setup was

- touchpad button = left click
- shift+button = right click
- ctrl+shift+button = middle click

and iirc pasting form the x buffer worked fine.  if i understand your openbox binding correctly, the 'A' is for alt?  well, on my system here, when i ctrl+left click on an xterm, i get a menu that includes to mutually exclusive options: "alt-esc" and "meta-esc".  if yours is set to atl-esc, then *i think* the terminal could be capturing the <alt> keypress and not letting you use you keybinding.  just a thought.

@konni: the macbook only has one button, so what you're doing (3rd-button emulation) won't work.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

Board footer