You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 00:09:10

ux&lx

Custom kernel --> filesystems hook, nvidia and madwifi drivers problem

Today i downloaded 2.6.28 kernel and made my own custom kernel the traditional way (i've got used to it in Slackware). Made initrd image and the whole package. On the first boot, system started with no problems, except for X server which couldn't find nvidia module. But this isn't the problem. I rebooted and went into slackware to look at the Arch wiki for nvidia installation procedure for custom kernel. After that i rebooted into arch again but i was surprised to see a kernel panic. Kernel could not mount root filesystem. I noticed that the filesystems hook loaded ext3 as root filesystem which isn't true. The filesystem on my root partition is ext4dev. I enabled ext4dev support in my custom kernel and even edited fstab to change fs to ext4, but still no luck. Even my old, "generic" kernel doesn't want to boot, because it also sees root partition as ext3 and gives an error:

sda2: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)

Can someone please help me, but bear in mind that my options are limited because i can only approach my arch installation from slackware.

Last edited by ux&lx (2009-01-13 11:18:13)

#2 2009-01-13 02:15:10

somedrew

Re: Custom kernel --> filesystems hook, nvidia and madwifi drivers problem

Looks like it could be this: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12354
Klibc 1.5.15 has the fix and is in [testing], but passing passing 'rootfstype=ext4' via grub as a boot parameter should take care of it for now if you want to wait for the new version to hit [core] and keep using an initrd.
Not sure why you could boot the first time though...

cheers,

#3 2009-01-13 11:16:45

ux&lx

Thank you very much, that was the problem. The system boots now, but i have problems with nvidia driver installation. I followed the instructions on installing nvidia driver for custom kernel (the arch way), but i get an error:

unable to determine the target kernel version

I changed the name of kernel in nvidia.install and pkgbuild. Does someone have a clue what should i do?
And one more question; is there a preferred way of installing madwifi drivers for custom kernel, or should i do it "by hand" (download the sources from web, compile them......)?

Last edited by ux&lx (2009-01-13 11:17:27)

#4 2009-01-13 22:18:10

ux&lx

I forgot to mention that i need to use nvidia-173xx version of the driver. Madwifi is no longer a problem i've managed to install it but still no luck with nvidia sad

Board footer