You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-07 16:25:37

SolarBear

GDM resolution and fonts is wrong [SOLVED]

Hi ! I've recently installed Arch64 on my brand new PC and I get a strange problem with GDM - one which I've had occasionally since I started using Linux. I always ended up working around the problem but now I'd like to know what it is.

When GDM shows up, I can only see the top left corner of the login window. I need to use the mouse to "scroll" left and right, up and down through the GDM screen to center the window and enter my username and password. I get the same behavior from the NVIDIA logo screen right before it. Strangely, as soon as I log in to GNOME my resolution becomes all right. (I hope my explanation is clear enough because I can't do screenshots in GDM ; I might get my digital camera if needed.) Also, the fonts are barely readable, although this might just be a consequence of having a wrong resolution or something.

Also, I get the very same problem when I play Enemy Territory and quit it. When I get back to GNOME I can scroll through my desktop, just as with GDM. I found out that when I come back to GNOME, for some reason the screen resolution is fine but the refresh rate gets back to 50 Hz instead of the usual 55 Hz ; setting it back to the correct refresh rate solves the problem.

So, is this "scrolling thing" an X feature ? And how can I set GDM to show up normally ?

Thank you.

SOLVED : Always, always take the time to RTFW. It turns out I had a DPI of 39 x 40... I added option lines to my Nvidia card entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and that solved the problem.

Last edited by SolarBear (2008-11-16 19:59:15)

#2 2008-11-05 12:00:24

SolarBear

Re: GDM resolution and fonts is wrong [SOLVED]

Hi ! I'm still having this problem, except now GDM starts in the upper left corner but the username font is still unreadable and I still can scroll through the screen. Also, the problem seems to have spread to GNOME : right now, I absolutely can't read the GNOME menu names and even the window title names are barely readable.

So... I'm bumping. Thanks.

#3 2009-01-14 17:28:51

flintmecha

What was the solution?

#4 2009-01-15 02:29:33

SolarBear

Sorry, I wrote the solution to my problem at the bottom of the first post. Have a look at the excellent wiki article I linked to.

SolarBear wrote:

SOLVED : Always, always take the time to RTFW. It turns out I had a DPI of 39 x 40... I added option lines to my Nvidia card entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and that solved the problem.

Board footer